Intermittent coolant leak

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
I'm getting an intermittent coolant leak. Very small. But when I do a pressure test of the system it checks ok.

It just happens on cold start ups.

Any ideas?

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
I'm getting an intermittent coolant leak. Very small. But when I do a pressure test of the system it checks ok.

It just happens on cold start ups.

Any ideas?
Oring ?
Can leak when cold and expand and seal when hot.
You will have to visually track this one down....or wait till it completely fails, then you will find it quick šŸ˜…

Reactions: TheFixer

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Oring ?
Can leak when cold and expand and seal when hot.
You will have to visually track this one down....or wait till it completely fails, then you will find it quick šŸ˜…
I'm thinking turbo coolant line based on I see no hoses leaking by the water pump or radiator.

I put some leak stop in to hold it over till I can work on finding it. Unless it holds.... which in that case I'll leave it alone.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
I'm thinking turbo coolant line based on I see no hoses leaking by the water pump or radiator.

I put some leak stop in to hold it over till I can work on finding it. Unless it holds.... which in that case I'll leave it alone.
Take off the cover under the car and do cold start (if it continues to leak), to get an idea of where its coming from.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
lifted the dead ?, it leaks when cold and seals when hot, looks like turbo rear turbo is leaking but its actually the two rear smaller head bolts.

The puddle usually forms where you described.

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
lifted the dead ?, it leaks when cold and seals when hot, looks like turbo rear turbo is leaking but its actually the two rear smaller head bolts.

The puddle usually forms where you described.
This motor has never been apart. Leak is gone for now. I'll tackle it once I get the e46 back together. Hopefully not head bolts.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
How much peak boost where you running like not rpm related peak but what was the highest anywhere ?

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
So after putting the leak seal in yesterday morning I did some stress testing (hard driving) yesterday and today. That snake oil appears to be holding.

I used that blue devil brand stuff. (I had luck with their oil seal additives in my 300k mile truck and it actually worked.)

I pulled the stiffner off last night and used my endoscope from underneath. Dug around looking for coolant residue around the head, block, hoses and coolant lines. Can't find anything.

Wherever it came from was a tiny breach. So, until it returns I'm considering it resolved for now.

• Wow
Reactions: SlowE93