S55 Intercooler upgrade time

Narcosis

Corporal
Dec 14, 2016
Hudson, WI
Ride
F82
I've ordered upgraded turbos, have Precision Raceworks stg4 LPFP & EOS intake manifold w/PI in hand, saving pennies for one of the crank hub options. Last night I considered that some upgraded charge cooling is in order. For those who have gone down this path, did you upgrade the intercooler or heat exchanger first? I'm leaning toward the IC first, would like some real world input.

If you've gone the IC first route, there are a few aftermarket parts all around the same price point. Build quality is at the top of my list, followed closely by price. Which one did you go with & why, if I may ask.

Reactions: Torgus

Narcosis

Corporal
Dec 14, 2016
Hudson, WI
Ride
F82
I've ordered upgraded turbos, have Precision Raceworks stg4 LPFP & EOS intake manifold w/PI in hand, saving pennies for one of the crank hub options. Last night I considered that some upgraded charge cooling is in order. For those who have gone down this path, did you upgrade the intercooler or heat exchanger first? I'm leaning toward the IC first, would like some real world input.

If you've gone the IC first route, there are a few aftermarket parts all around the same price point. Build quality is at the top of my list, followed closely by price. Which one did you go with & why, if I may ask.

Anyone? Currently I'm lleaning toward the heat exchanger first, would still appreciate real world experience / input.

Last edited:

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Which turbos did you go with?

I can't comment on the cooling but I see often both are upgraded.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
What are the other options there, EOS makes one as well? I know they make the intercooler, not sure about the exchanger.

Narcosis

Corporal
Dec 14, 2016
Hudson, WI
Ride
F82
The car ended up with both the VRSF heat exchanger and intercooler. Minor fitament issues with the EOS top mounted fuel rail & intercooler, but these things are to be expected. Looking forward to getting the car out of hibernation in the spring & finalizing the tune.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The car ended up with both the VRSF heat exchanger and intercooler. Minor fitament issues with the EOS top mounted fuel rail & intercooler, but these things are to be expected. Looking forward to getting the car out of hibernation in the spring & finalizing the tune.
So you mean the fuel rail from eos wasn't a perfect fit for he vrsf intercooler?

Narcosis

Corporal
Dec 14, 2016
Hudson, WI
Ride
F82
So you mean the fuel rail from eos wasn't a perfect fit for he vrsf intercooler?
Let me qualify my statement - if I'd replaced / extended one of the coolant hoses the fit would have been spot on. The VRST part itself isn't the issue, nor the EOS manifold. The combination of rail placement and hose location are my nit to pick. :)

Attachments

• coolant hose.jpg
    coolant hose.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Reactions: doublespaces

Narcosis

Corporal
Dec 14, 2016
Hudson, WI
Ride
F82
Makes sense. Have you noticed any difference with the upgrades?

The IC & heat exchanger were installed before the turbos, IAT was reduced 5-10 degrees F overall. With the RB turbos it's pretty easy to spin the 305s, however I maxed out the injectors. The manifold / port injection was installed when the car was put to sleep for winter, so I'm looking forward to all the snow being gone this spring. :)

Reactions: Torgus