Technical Ignition Coil Secondary Spark Energy Comparison (N54/N55, B58 and PR)

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
I ll answer the question myself :)

Judge yourself (@Torgus, u got a "like" as you have been right)

3 years old OEM Eldor with ~50k miles on it:
View attachment 73615

Brand new Dinan with 5 miles on it:
View attachment 73616
PLUS:
View attachment 73617

Of course thats not the scientific way to proof things. But its true street experience...

With the Dinan i got corrections while with OEM Eldor coils i had none. Also i got long crank with the Dinan on 2 out of 5 engine starts (including the shadow code above). The logs have been taken one day apart of each other.
Thanks for sharing, the more information the better!

But I'm skeptical that the coils are the cause here? Can anybody explain how a less energy coil could cause timing corrections? Unless the DME responds to misfire events (failure to ignite mixture) with timing corrections, but I didn't think that to be the case. I suspect the timing corrections and hard starts you saw with the Dinans may have been due to some other factor(s) (bad fuel, different ethonol %, iat, etc.), but that's just my own suspicion. Some days I get corrections, other days I don't - on the same coils.

If anybody knows if/how coils could influence corrections, I'd love to hear about it! I just replaced my stock Delphi's with Eldors (i'm n55), but I didn't expect, and haven't seen an improvement in corrections.

Slowagon54

Corporal
Aug 21, 2020
It was the same car, just a day later. Same gas (100 oct), same road, same conditions. I am running an OTS Stage 2 MG Flasher 100oct. map which i top off with meth injection (70M / 30 W) to clean the corrections. To me the logs show a difference like night and day.

Would love to see some others comparison betwen OEM and them.

Also, they caused a shadow code and a long crank on startup to my car. Switched back to OEM and everything was ok again. No codes what so ever.... Never had any issues with the car.

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
It was the same car, just a day later. Same gas (100 oct), same road, same conditions. I am running an OTS Stage 2 MG Flasher 100oct. map which i top off with meth injection (70M / 30 W) to clean the corrections. To me the logs show a difference like night and day.

Would love to see some others comparison betwen OEM and them.

Also, they caused a shadow code and a long crank on startup to my car. Switched back to OEM and everything was ok again. No codes what so ever.... Never had any issues with the car.
This is very interesting, it does seem like very little changed, other than the coils. Between the two logs how do load actual, IAT, and engine & coolant temps compare?

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Thanks for posting those logs👍 Looks like load actual, and IAT were slightly higher on the Dinan log, but hard to say if it's enough to matter🤷‍♂️

I haven't driven much since I replaced my original Delphi's with Eldors, but i've already noticed my horrible mileage has gone from the 14's up to 17 and rising. I didn't actually expect to see any improvement, since I wasn't getting misfire codes until I hit a limp mode out of the blue one day, and saw my #2 coil had dislodged from the plug. I'm really anxious to get more miles on these coils and see if the trend continues.

It has me thinking about multi-spark, and at what point the DME considers a misfire to be detected? I know very little about it, but i've read our DME's have multi-spark. I wonder if the DME will register a misfire if it takes the 2nd or 3rd spark to iginte the mixture every now and then? If that was happening, average effective timing advance would be less, as you'd be igniting closer to TDC than per the timing map. Just trying to get my head around how (assuming no misfire codes were getting thrown) changing coils can influence timing corrections, fuel mileage, power, etc.

I've probably had an oversimplified view of the process of igniting the mixture, and misfire detection. At least on my initial log with eldors, my corrections did not look great. Perhaps i'm actually igniting consistently on the first spark now, so actually running per my timing map now vs. closer to TDC than my timing map if I was igniting on 2nd or 3rd spark attempt before🤷‍♂️

Or maybe I'm totally over thinking this! I'd just really like to understand what's going on here.

Reactions: Slowagon54

Slowagon54

Corporal
Aug 21, 2020
True. The Dinan Coils had a IAT disadvantage of a few degrees celsius. Not sure if thats enough, but at least something to consider.

Still, the long crank and shadow code remains a mistery.

Wheela, V8bait was quite into this topic, maybe he ll chime in to explain :) I ll get my popcorn meanwhile...

Reactions: wheela

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
I haven't driven much since I replaced my original Delphi's with Eldors, but i've already noticed my horrible mileage has gone from the 14's up to 17 and rising. I didn't actually expect to see any improvement, since I wasn't getting misfire codes until I hit a limp mode out of the blue one day, and saw my #2 coil had dislodged from the plug. I'm really anxious to get more miles on these coils and see if the trend continues.
Just following up on this, my mileage hasn't improved. After a week or so of normal driving it's back down to 15-ish again.

dfbpurcell

Oct 27, 2023
Does anyone have data on the R35 GTR coil conversion for N54?
r35.png

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
I could't tell you where i saw a test of R35 coils but they are less poweful than PR's and we know PR's are less powerful than B58.

• Agree
Reactions: ShocknAwe