WayEast

Lurker
Jun 22, 2021
Louisiana
Ride
2014 Z4 35i
WayEast submitted a new graph:

Help with misfire

I keep getting cel 29CD (DME: Combustion misfires, cylinder 1) only when I go over 6000 rpm.

My car is 2014 E89 Z4 with FBO. I have new ngk spark plugs gapped to .022 and new coils. I am running mhd stage 2+ 93oct.

I have tried the following to isolate the problem:
Swapped coil in cylinder 1 with cylinder 2 same issue.
Swapped spark plug in cylinder 1 with cylinder 2 same issue.
Swapped injector in cylinder 1 with cylinder 2 same issue
Removed and cleaned vanos same issue.

Any ideas...

View this graph...

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Also just did a google search and the Z4 35i does not have LPFP sensor. I am assuming that is why there are no values. But I could be wrong.

Yeah pretty sure they don't have a sensor. There are some calculated values used internally as a substitute I believe.

Slowagon54

Corporal
Aug 21, 2020
Whatever it is dont rev it up above 6.500 rpm until you have solved the issue. Your problem starts when AFR is going up when it should go down. Check your log from 6.788 rpm´s... you see your AFR is going up and corrections are almost immediately the result. You may have a fueling issue... other than that, log looks ok to me.

EDIT: Your railpressure dips at the same time as well... so def. need to check this.

Jern54

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2019
Netherlands
Ride
E91 N54 335i
Make a log with fuel mode switched on.
What is your setup?
Changed to a SMF perhaps?
A compression test wouldn't hurt as well

WayEast

Lurker
Jun 22, 2021
Louisiana
Ride
2014 Z4 35i
Whatever it is dont rev it up above 6.500 rpm until you have solved the issue. Your problem starts when AFR is going up when it should go down. Check your log from 6.788 rpm´s... you see your AFR is going up and corrections are almost immediately the result. You may have a fueling issue... other than that, log looks ok to me.

EDIT: Your railpressure dips at the same time as well... so def. need to check this.
I see what you are saying and will look into the fueling issues. When I set MHD on stage 1+ or 2, I do not get any cel issues.

WayEast

Lurker
Jun 22, 2021
Louisiana
Ride
2014 Z4 35i
Make a log with fuel mode switched on.
What is your setup?
Changed to a SMF perhaps?
A compression test wouldn't hurt as well
I make a log later on this week with fuel mode on. My setup is as follows:
Vrsf downpipes
Vrsf charge pipe with tial bov
Vrsf 5” stepped FMIC
Vrsf DCI
BMS oil catch can

No SMF. Will look into compression test as well. Thanks

Slowagon54

Corporal
Aug 21, 2020
Log looks too clean to have a compression issue. AFR going up in high rpm's is a bad thing. I would not do a WOT pull before i figure out what the problem is... at least not until redline. Maybe the tune is too agressive... My experience is, if you have a 93 oct tune you need to have a better fuel than that to make it work properly. I would try an octane booster first. Fill it up and drive it for a few miles first before you go WOT.

WayEast

Lurker
Jun 22, 2021
Louisiana
Ride
2014 Z4 35i
Log looks too clean to have a compression issue. AFR going up in high rpm's is a bad thing. I would not do a WOT pull before i figure out what the problem is... at least not until redline. Maybe the tune is too agressive... My experience is, if you have a 93 oct tune you need to have a better fuel than that to make it work properly. I would try an octane booster first. Fill it up and drive it for a few miles first before you go WOT.
Makes sense. I do have the option to set tune to 91 oct. Might try that with octane booster and see if the problem replicates. If problem does persist, do you think it could be HPFP and/or LPFP related?

Slowagon54

Corporal
Aug 21, 2020
I am not really into Z4's. I know they are a bit different (bigger fuel lines), but not sure what exactly. Do a WOT run with the octane booster and log the Fuel pressure of course. If you dont have octane booster just lower the octane on the tune. This will tell you more.