GS6-53DZ swap to GS6-45BZ?

bscsystem

Oct 15, 2019
Ride
335i N55
The 45BZ come with all N55 cars so far I know, mine came from a F20/F22.
The 53BZ can not improved, there are no parts or spare parts on the marked. The 45BZ can hold enough power/torque, it is also an S55 engines with another bell housing. And there are synchron rings as spare parts on the market if there are worn.

Hey,

I'm driving E92 335i N55 and my gearbox is GS6-45BZ - THD4. Unfortunately my first gear pop off every time and there is no gearboxes listed for sale.
So I need to swap my gearbox with Diesel version. What do you think guys, should I take the different gear ratio into account? Is this a big problem?

I won't find any parts for sale tho :(

Chrysheight

Lurker
Nov 11, 2017
San Jose, CA
Ride
2011 E93--N55 6MT
The 45BZ come with all N55 cars so far I know, mine came from a F20/F22.
The 53BZ can not improved, there are no parts or spare parts on the marked. The 45BZ can hold enough power/torque, it is also an S55 engines with another bell housing. And there are synchron rings as spare parts on the market if there are worn.

Where can one find synchro rings for the 45bz transmission? I just purchased a used 53bz transmission to replace my 45bz, but if replacing the rings is an option, I'd probably like to stick with the 45bz transmission

bscsystem

Oct 15, 2019
Ride
335i N55
well, guys, I bought a new 45BZ transmission and looking to sell the old one.

vachfolle

Apr 22, 2018
Ride
E46 325ti / 330Cd / E92 335i
I confirm that DZ is for diesel engine : gear set > B = Petrol/gasoline gear ratio. D = Diesel gear ratio.

Reactions: 9krpmrx8

Mike111

Jun 1, 2021
I have the 53bz hgy I am trying to put it in a pl33 lci 335ix 09 prod 02/09 ^ ... so far the fly wheel changed to 6 bolt from 8 on that year but I also noticed that the real oem site says dz for diesel? Idk if this will work but I know the n55 trans will not bolt on to an N54 it needs a bell housing plate and also new msd81 not used and a standalone htc unit to control it. So rather put down on a new m series with the cost of that project so I am trying this manual swap , now this trans I bought is from the exact year and it came off of a 335xi pre lci 53bz not dz? I figure this will work concidering it worked on the downer car but I am not so sure as I didn’t pull the part off the car so looking into this noticing the different part number trying to figure if I was givin the right parts. Do you know if this will work or have I been driving a diesel car this whole time? Or is it the automatics 335xi coming in diesel because manual trans say dz and that’s what The site says is compatible which the one I want to swap to the 53bz but don’t know if it will work??

Last edited:

Mike111

Jun 1, 2021
I confirm that DZ is for diesel engine : gear set > B = Petrol/gasoline gear ratio. D = Diesel gear ratio.
So than all the lci manual trans are coming with diesel gear ratio? Because real oem bmw site says dz? what is the difference just the type of car it got put in just to know what it was original stall in ? It does say i need to look into repair manual and show parts I have to replace which are seals and bolts.fly wheel also changes to 6 bolt pattern. Maybe that is the conversion it need to be put from dz to bz if you buy it new unlike the one I bought considering it states bz for gas I should be all set just have to change the fly wheel 👍🏼

Jw219

May 9, 2022
Hi! I appreciate nobody has been here for a little while. I'm currently doing an e36 n55 swap and have a gs645bz box going in. The flywheel is obviously not an issue as its an n55 but my transmission crossmember and shifter rod are for an n54 swap so a 53bz. I see people on here talking of shifyer differences but I can't decifer exactly what the difference is between the 45bz and 53bz shifter and whether this would cause an issue. People seem to have done the swap from 45 to 53 and vice versa so I assumed they were the same bar the flywheel?! Theres a guy on this forum that said when he went from 53 to 45 he changed shifter parts? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks