GS6-53DZ swap to GS6-45BZ?

sonicnofadz

Nov 25, 2022
Very cool, thank you. I haven't sourced a transmission yet but I have picked up a shift lever and support bracket from both an M car and a non-M. The mounting points look like they're a match; however the casting is different in the center section. The selector rod is also different. I believe the M lever sits higher up. I will try and get a couple of pics and measurements to compare. I think you're right on the driveshaft too. I'm wondering if it's possible to combine the front section from one model and rear section from another to get the correct length.

sonicnofadz

Nov 25, 2022
Very cool, thank you. I haven't sourced a transmission yet but I have picked up a shift lever and support bracket from both an M car and a non-M. The mounting points look like they're a match; however the casting is different in the center section. The selector rod is also different. I believe the M lever sits higher up. I will try and get a couple of pics and measurements to compare. I think you're right on the driveshaft too. I'm wondering if it's possible to combine the front section from one model and rear section from another to get the correct length.

For an e9X there are a lot of different length driveshafts available, I already have two out of the three of these (for large pumpkin diff):

driveshaft for e90 n55 manual part# is 26107614408 L=1485MM
driveshaft for e90 n54 manual part# is 26107614384 L=1470MM
Driveshaft e90 06-07 auto transmission part #26107614433 L=1453MM

I suspect that the overall transmission length is probably pretty close to the gs6-53, since the regular flavor 45 was a bit shorter compared to the 53, but has been elongated with the M version of the 45. I will soon find out...yeah as for the shifter, I'd like to find an OEM solution, but if I have to custom fab a shifter or the rod, then so be it (I have access to tig and mig in my shop). The shifter mounting points are definitely the same on the back of the trans, much of the hardware part numbers on real oem are the same between the platforms, but the shifter parts are are all different from e90/n54 e90/n55 and f80/s55

Efp1103

Lurker
Dec 20, 2022
Following the crap out of this thread. I’d love to find a workable OEM manual trans upgrade. My 53BZ is starting to show its age.. Any updates on this since last November?

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
let me bring this thread back from the dead

my gearbox is fucked, again. this time after a track session
same god damn whine as last time, my synchros are fine.
if you want to listen to how bad it gets, you can visit my build thread in my signature and watch the "flying lap" video

and now time to source a gearbox, fml
buying a used box every few years isnt really a solution.

so far my conclusion is, these shitty gearboxes dont enjoy being hot (road racing/multiple vmax runs)
im tempted to throw a pump and external cooler on it to see if it lasts longer

if the next box goes again before i am done with the car, i might go the zf8 route
but that by itself is another huge headache especially when i dont know shit as to how to tune gearboxes and have to rely on someone else to do it

Ekarras

Feb 22, 2024
Hi! I appreciate nobody has been here for a little while. I'm currently doing an e36 n55 swap and have a gs645bz box going in. The flywheel is obviously not an issue as its an n55 but my transmission crossmember and shifter rod are for an n54 swap so a 53bz. I see people on here talking of shifyer differences but I can't decifer exactly what the difference is between the 45bz and 53bz shifter and whether this would cause an issue. People seem to have done the swap from 45 to 53 and vice versa so I assumed they were the same bar the flywheel?! Theres a guy on this forum that said when he went from 53 to 45 he changed shifter parts? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Hi, I am considering doing an N55 Swap into a Z3 and would love to have a chat so I can understand there raw truth of what is required. Please let me know if your open to having a chat.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Hi, I am considering doing an N55 Swap into a Z3 and would love to have a chat so I can understand there raw truth of what is required. Please let me know if your open to having a chat.

depends how you want to go at it i guess.... if you are going the OE way, just buy a n55 powered car and move everything electrical over + a sledgehammer for clearance + weld mounts.