Good replacement for stock turbos

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
I spent close to 20 hours on it total. I did turbos, water pump, thermostat, inlets, and walnut blasting. E60’s are miserable to work on compared to e92. They have no room for inlets at all.
Yup.... they suck to work on! I don't have knuckles anymore working on mine.

How are those turbos holding up?

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Yup.... they suck to work on! I don't have knuckles anymore working on mine.

How are those turbos holding up?
Turbos are great. Haven’t had any issues. Honestly impressed with the craftsmanship. Combined with inlets and a E50 blend makes tons of power at 16psi. Have approximately 3000kms on them now.

Reactions: TheFixer

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Turbos are great. Haven’t had any issues. Honestly impressed with the craftsmanship. Combined with inlets and a E50 blend makes tons of power at 16psi. Have approximately 3000kms on them now.
Nice. My turbo wastegates are toast. Need them rebuilt. RBTurbo seems to be the place for that.

I also found new Mitsubishi ones this morning for 1200 bucks.

So, now I've got to decide rb or those.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Nice. My turbo wastegates are toast. Need them rebuilt. RBTurbo seems to be the place for that.

I also found new Mitsubishi ones this morning for 1200 bucks.

So, now I've got to decide rb or those.
I highly recommend RB oem’s with a billet wheel and inlets. I almost wish I went RB Ones but my goal was to keep the car at a safe power level and I knew if I had bigger turbos I’d get greedy one day and turn it up 😂. Plus these do flow a decent amount better, I’ve beaten a few stock turbo fbo +inlets and a ethanol blend 335i’s.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus and TheFixer

Moongrainz

Aug 15, 2020
Thanks for the review / updates, I'm a fellow E60 owner and have two questions.

1. Which inlets did you end up using and if you did the install yourself any tips?

2. you got a sound clip or can you comment on the sweet induction noises you hear now vs stock?

Thanks!

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Thanks for the review / updates, I'm a fellow E60 owner and have two questions.

1. Which inlets did you end up using and if you did the install yourself any tips?

2. you got a sound clip or can you comment on the sweet induction noises you hear now vs stock?

Thanks!
I'm running RB inlets. I Installed the rear inlet before the rear turbo and gave me enough room to easily pull the inlet through, two people would make it easier. I also had lowered the engine a decent amount.
I can take some sound clips if you'd like. I generally try not to record and drive lol.

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
I'm running RB inlets. I Installed the rear inlet before the rear turbo and gave me enough room to easily pull the inlet through, two people would make it easier. I also had lowered the engine a decent amount.
I can take some sound clips if you'd like. I generally try not to record and drive lol.
Yup. Get the RB ones. I spent 4 hours on the rear one I originally put in. Too fat. I also didn't have the luxury of being able to lower the motor away from the firewall.

This time I'll be able too. It also won't be squished and susceptible to collapsing.

I can't describe the sound. It's a wicked howling hissing when on it. Then I have a turbosmart bov that has a nice big PSSSSSSSSSSH! release sound.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Yup. Get the RB ones. I spent 4 hours on the rear one I originally put in. Too fat. I also didn't have the luxury of being able to lower the motor away from the firewall.

This time I'll be able too. It also won't be squished and susceptible to collapsing.

I can't describe the sound. It's a wicked howling hissing when on it. Then I have a turbosmart bov that has a nice big PSSSSSSSSSSH! release sound.
I had mmp’s in my last car, me and dad struggled for hours getting them in. RB’s took me about 10 minutes alone. And they fit great don’t look like there collapsing or anything.

Question for you how did you run your front inlet?

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
I had mmp’s in my last car, me and dad struggled for hours getting them in. RB’s took me about 10 minutes alone. And they fit great don’t look like there collapsing or anything.

Question for you how did you run your front inlet?
Just layed it over the top and through the front where it seemed path of least resistance. I have pics on here somewhere.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I ran mine over the upper rad hose. Through the middle of the oil cooler lines. Keeps it away from the pulleys.