Going from AWD to RWD

700hp335

Oct 15, 2020
Hey,

I recently sold my Evo X. I originally purchased it due to being AWD and I liked the safety of doing Mexico trips without the thought of loosing control in a 40 pull. I am about 95% sure I am picking up a 2010 335i with a 6466 and claims to be around 700hp. The issue is it is RWD. Since this is going to be my first powerful RWD car I was wondering if anyone knew of any tips to help get traction? Other than the 15" MT slicks in the rear, can I do anything else that will help? And if I do all of that; am I still going to run into the issue of possibly spinning out everytime I do a 3rd gear pull?

Thanks!

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I would suggest you do you due diligence before buying the car. Compression leak down test etc. No reason to buy a car with a bad engine.

Traction to start:
Solid subframe bushings
Solid diff bushings
Diff lock down kit
A differential
E diff coded out
Coilovers

The widest tires you can fit and you can deal with. When I say deal with do you mind if you can't drive in the rain with them?

It also depends on your goals for the car and how you will normally use it.

Do you want 19" rims for looks or 17" arcs you can fit a BBK and have plenty of sidewall?

700hp335

Oct 15, 2020
I would suggest you do you due diligence before buying the car. Compression leak down test etc. No reason to buy a car with a bad engine.

Traction to start:
Solid subframe bushings
Solid diff bushings
Diff lock down kit
A differential
E diff coded out
Coilovers

The widest tires you can fit and you can deal with. When I say deal with do you mind if you can't drive in the rain with them?

It also depends on your goals for the car and how you will normally use it.

Do you want 19" rims for looks or 17" arcs you can fit a BBK and have plenty of sidewall?

Thanks for the tips. I have already checked car out and its solid. Very clean car.

Car will be a daily driver. Will not be on the track. Will like to be as prepared for anything I meet though. I know during winter time I won't be able to roll around in 15" MT Slicks.

Also wonder if maybe I should pass on it and just look for a X Drive version.

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
Hey,

I recently sold my Evo X. I originally purchased it due to being AWD and I liked the safety of doing Mexico trips without the thought of loosing control in a 40 pull. I am about 95% sure I am picking up a 2010 335i with a 6466 and claims to be around 700hp. The issue is it is RWD. Since this is going to be my first powerful RWD car I was wondering if anyone knew of any tips to help get traction? Other than the 15" MT slicks in the rear, can I do anything else that will help? And if I do all of that; am I still going to run into the issue of possibly spinning out everytime I do a 3rd gear pull?

Thanks!

In addition to the hardware changes Torgus mentioned, consult with the tuner of the car -- low rpm torque can be tuned out and boost can be piled in later when more traction is available. As far as hardware changes that make the biggest difference in my opinion 1) tires 2) diff brace/lockdown 3) coilover softness in rear 4)m3 rear control/tension arms

I went the opposite way fwiw, sold my 600whp 335i to get into a 600whp Evo 8 haha