Goal of 425whp on 2012 335i - desire feedback from N55/N54 crowd

Nov 19, 2020
- Owned 335i since new. At 54k miles, BMW installed brand new N55 engine under warranty. Car now has 69k miles so only 15k miles on engine.
- GOAL> 425whp (524hp). No more! Will be my daily driver from spring to fall and will never see a track
- Pulling trigger on below starting 11/30/20 and would like feedback from the N55/N54 crowd

+ JB4 Tune
+ Turner motorsports stepped intercooler
+ Turner motorsports downpipe with high flow CC
+ Pure Stage 1 turbo upgrade
+ HPFP and fuel injector upgrades
+ CTS charge pipe upgrade
+ Momentum pro dry s stage 2 air intake
+ Performance Iridum spark plugs
+ BMW performance brake kit
+ New rear shocks, struts and coils

Would really like feedback on above build. Thanks.

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
  • Dont touch the stock intake
  • Don't "upgrade" the brakes, change pads if you want a different feel. They do 99% of the difference and you can even tune the brake bias. Rest is just cosmetics and don't help you stop faster whatsoever.
  • Upgrade the tires. ps4s minimum.
  • There is no such thing as a performance spark plug, in the same way that there's no such thing as a performance spring.
  • Dont get high flow CC unless you absolutely have to or want to reduce the smell. My car still smells with 200 cell cats, but arguably less than decatted.
  • Why new coils? Coils don't really wear out. Whats wrong with your shocks? And what do you mean by rear struts?
  • Why JB4? Aren't there OTS maps for pure turbos on the N55 platform?

Nov 19, 2020
  • Dont touch the stock intake
  • Don't "upgrade" the brakes, change pads if you want a different feel. They do 99% of the difference and you can even tune the brake bias. Rest is just cosmetics and don't help you stop faster whatsoever.
  • Upgrade the tires. ps4s minimum.
  • There is no such thing as a performance spark plug, in the same way that there's no such thing as a performance spring.
  • Dont get high flow CC unless you absolutely have to or want to reduce the smell. My car still smells with 200 cell cats, but arguably less than decatted.
  • Why new coils? Coils don't really wear out. Whats wrong with your shocks? And what do you mean by rear struts?
  • Why JB4? Aren't there OTS maps for pure turbos on the N55 platform?
- I am going with the aFe Power Momentum Pro Dry S Stage 2 Air Intake System. This is more power but less exhaust noice than other air intakes, which is what I want
- For piece of mind, I am upgrading to the orange M Performance Brakes. This will be my daily driver spring to through fall.
- Thanks for tire info.
- Ok on spark plugs. They recommended colder ones and are going to use the Iridium Spark Plugs
- I have to get the Cat downpipe......I wouldn't fell good driving around with an illegal catless downpipe.
- Based on an inspection of the car before we start the build, they recommended rear shocks, springs and related components.....not coils.
- JB4 is what they recommended, and based on all my research, seems live a very good fit.

My goal is the be a member of the 400+ WHP club, and no more. It's gonna be a daily driver and the above set up is what the professionals recommended.

Thanks.