B58 G30 Any Need For XHP W/ Stage 1 MHD?

Darkrom

Oct 17, 2021
If I am happy with Stage 1 MHD for now and like the way the car drives, am I missing out on anything by going without XHP? I dont really feel the need to flash the transmission with the 8HP like I did with the 6HP, but is it harming anything by leaving it stock in combination with the tune? My goal is to be easier on the trans as I killed my XHP 6HP trans with N55.

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
If I am happy with Stage 1 MHD for now and like the way the car drives, am I missing out on anything by going without XHP? I dont really feel the need to flash the transmission with the 8HP like I did with the 6HP, but is it harming anything by leaving it stock in combination with the tune? My goal is to be easier on the trans as I killed my XHP 6HP trans with N55.
Was your transmission slipping on the n55? How many miles, and did you ever replace the transmission fluid?

I'd think that unless your transmission is slipping you should be fine, perhaps others can chime in?

PS, are you the Darkrom with the X1?

Reactions: Darkrom

RTA

Private
Jun 17, 2020
The 8hp is very well up to the job especially when compared to the 6hp.
XHP can give you some gimmicks and adjust the box behaviour.

The key thing to keep in mind, perfectly fine to spirited drive these cars, but just make sure you heat up the engine for at least 6-8 minutes (2k/3.5k rpm no flat outs etc) Also the oil temp of the box will be trailing and so the box takes a bit more time to be in the operating window, this plus on time quallity oil refreshes will keep it all pretty healty.

Darkrom

Oct 17, 2021
That is me I sold the x1 to a friend who is prepared to replace the trans and I upgraded to the g30 540. The trans was slipping hard. I never did the fluid on it as everyone’s recommendation was to not do it. Trans was fine until around 179k miles then started failing quickly.

I’m just wondering if the 8hp trans is safe as is or if it actually NEEDS the tune for longevity sake somehow, but if anything I’d assume the tune wears it slightly faster. I’ve seen some posts that imply you need xhp or the trans will wear faster, I just don’t understand how that could be.

Reactions: wheela

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Wow, 179k isn't too bad for no fluid changes! I don't know why bmw says no fluid changes, and claims it's lifetime fluid. ZF actually recommends replacing the transmission fluid & filter at 50- 70k miles, and/or 5-7 years. I did mine around 60k and 7 years, so hopefully it will keep treating me well👍 They do recommend not to do a flush at that mileage, as it can knock debris free and clog the passages, but just draining and refilling is recommended. I'm actually planning on changing my transfer case and front diff fluid at my next service this spring (did rear fluid already when replacing some leaky seals). If you follow the 60k fluid replacement schedule with your 8hp I don't think you'll have any problems👍

Sorry to see you leave the X1 world, but congrats on the new g-series!

Darkrom

Oct 17, 2021
Thanks I love this car. The x1 served me well for what it was but b58 is a whole new world. Do you happen to know what fluids get changed at 60? I can probably just Google the maintenance schedule for this car just curious.

I honestly love how it drives with just stage 1, might keep it that way to have one easy car and keep the 135 as the nightmare fun situation.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Never change a running System

If you are happy, stay happy.

I have a DCT e92 and a 8HP F21. Directly compared my DCT with XHP stage 3 is worlds better than the stock 8HP. But for a daily i am happy with it and have no interest in flashing the 8HP personally. I heard that XHP on the 8HP makes it behave more like a DCT and that sounds actually very nice as in the current state its night and day difference.

RTA

Private
Jun 17, 2020
I must agree there, my first e92 was with 6hp, overheating party all over, now I have an e92 DCT, this is just briljant and no overheating while being FBO+ with meth and very responsive and fast.
My g30 has a 8hp, with the XHP flash it became more active and responsive. Heading towards the DCT, not the same but betterincompairson to OEM, to my opinion.
The 8hp does has less overheating issues compared to the 6hp, and is engineered for pretty high loads.
My e92 is getting tracked, , the g30 not.
XHP is mainly an experience changer, if you have budget, why not. But not a necessity.

B58Jack

Nov 29, 2023
Its perfectly fine but I would highly recommend getting XHP, running just mhd wouldn't necessarily hurt anything but I've run Mhd stage 1 w Xhp stage 2 (Stage 1 Xhp just removes torque limiter BTw) for about 30k miles and plan on doing a fluid change on the trans pretty soon just to see the condition. Currently, I'm on MHD Flex fuel with Dorche stage 2.5 HPFP, and Stage 3 XHP. let me know if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer i have a 2019 540

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I love Xhp on my M340, Instant shifts, sounds incredibly crisp. With the new ignition cut shift, its dumb fast and feels smooth while shifting

Darkrom

Oct 17, 2021
I already have ignition cut on mhd, I believe that’s what they call brap correct? I have to guess you wouldn’t want to have both xhp and mhd doing that. How would you handle that which one would be the one to enable it with ideally?

Darkrom

Oct 17, 2021
Its perfectly fine but I would highly recommend getting XHP, running just mhd wouldn't necessarily hurt anything but I've run Mhd stage 1 w Xhp stage 2 (Stage 1 Xhp just removes torque limiter BTw) for about 30k miles and plan on doing a fluid change on the trans pretty soon just to see the condition. Currently, I'm on MHD Flex fuel with Dorche stage 2.5 HPFP, and Stage 3 XHP. let me know if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer i have a 2019 540

How does drive / comfort feel with xhp stage 2 on the 8hp? My main concern is that I want to keep it just as tame and smooth in comfort mode, I really love how easy this car is to drive that way. I had the same worries with mhd hoping it wouldn’t turn it purely performance oriented and I’m happy to say the tune doesn’t make it any less smooth when driving gently / boring.