FRM code after battery replace

socalbmw

Lurker
Dec 20, 2021
So I just replace the battery on my 2013 BMW 335is and a on the initial start up a few codes pop up on my scanner. I cleared them thinking that they were triggered by the battery being disconnected. Now when I turn on the car I am getting a lighting system error. I have only driven the car about 20 or 30 miles and am wondering if its because the computer was reset. I have not lights no turn signals, no parking sensors, windows don't roll down, very frustrating. From what I am reading its pointing to a new FRM module. Advice would be super helpful.

Attachments

• 1Capture.PNG
    1Capture.PNG
    109 KB · Views: 49
  • 2Capture.PNG
    2Capture.PNG
    86.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 4Capture.PNG
    4Capture.PNG
    164.8 KB · Views: 44

socalbmw

Lurker
Dec 20, 2021
It was. I had to jump it that morning to get it to turn on when I was headed to work. Also when I jumped it that morning, the car throw a bunch of error codes that went away while I was driving. For example, my windows would not stop rolling up and down. eventually as I drove the car the codes went away and all the function worked normally.

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
My FRM wigged out from what I think was condensation after sitting all winter. Possibly a clogged/frozen sunroof drain on my car, idk really. Basically it got wet and was shorting out causing all sorts of weird things to happen. I disconnected the battery, took it out, dried up any water in the car, then took the FRM apart and scrubbed any corrosion I found on the inside with a toothbrush and the highest percentage iso alcohol I could find to clean it up and dry it out. Its been working fine ever since... Knock on wood.

Maybe it got wet somehow, or maybe the wiring inside the headlights shorted out from the insulation flaking off due to heat. I've had to deal with both of these issues. My 3 series the FRM got wet, and my 5 series the wiring inside the headlights shorted out and fried the FRM. Good luck!

socalbmw

Lurker
Dec 20, 2021
Well I heard that NA BMW had an extended recall on this part, so Im going to give them a call to see if it will be covered. Kind of ridiculous that this could happen, simply changing a battery.

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Yep, see attachnent. I believe it was an issue where if voltage dropped too low during diagnostic or coding work, the FRM would brick.

Attachments

• SI B 01 20 16.pdf
    246.5 KB · Views: 62

Werner1337

Dec 21, 2021
Its a common FRM3 failure due to voltage drop. The eeprom of the MCU gets corrupted and needs to get recovered. It usually costs 50-100€ and is done in few minutes.
You can also do it yourself with X-Prog, Orange or many other programming devices.

Reactions: KClemente

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Thought that was a universal problem?Pretty much why people should never flash with dead battery. If it's bricked it wouldn't do anything I would think. I've bricked a few phones, fortunately not any modules... Going to knock on all the wood I've got lol.

Let us know if that fixes it! Good luck!

socalbmw

Lurker
Dec 20, 2021
Thanks for the info really help full. I was simply changing my battery out as I don't drive this car much. The original one die finally, I guess next time I should keep a battery saver on the car while disconnecting the battery.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Thanks for the info really help full. I was simply changing my battery out as I don't drive this car much. The original one die finally, I guess next time I should keep a battery saver on the car while disconnecting the battery.
I keep a trickle charger on my broken E92 so it doesn’t break more knowing my luck.

Reactions: wheela

socalbmw

Lurker
Dec 20, 2021
Question does anyone know if it is possible to flash your car back to stock if your FRM failed, as well as coding your battery and getting your o2 cat to register for smog. I have been try to drive this car for over 3 weeks now going to work every day and I am still missing one o2 to register. I had MHD stage 1 and attempted to flash it back to stock. When I did it said success at the end but 3 weeks later my o2 is still not on. I have my jb4 set to map 0 but at this point with late fees now on my reg, I think im going just pull everything out.