Does fuel system cleaner do *anything* for our engines?

TheObjectivist

Private
Jul 12, 2019
Ride
2008 BMW 535i
Hey all - found a case of redline "complete fuel system cleaner" and wonder if there is even a faint benefit of using or if I should just give to my neighbor.

I get that the valves are not touched since DI, but is there any other benefit like cleaning the rings, piston tops, or plugs?

Think someone said our injectors are of such high pressure that cleaners are pointless but maybe theres a benefit to the fuel pumps?

Note: I am running ~30% ethanol and dont know what mess that craps leaving behind

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
There seem to be two versions of this…one the cheaper type has some solvents that are intended to dissolve fuel related matter ..the second type have a chemical in them that when injected into the combustion chamber adheres chemically to the baked on carbon and ‘removes’ it through some process..

I’ve tried the latter for a little while with no obvious benefit…🤔😳🙈

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
There seem to be two versions of this…one the cheaper type has some solvents that are intended to dissolve fuel related matter ..the second type have a chemical in them that when injected into the combustion chamber adheres chemically to the baked on carbon and ‘removes’ it through some process..

I’ve tried the latter for a little while with no obvious benefit…🤔😳🙈
I need something like the latter but for the intake valves on my X5M... its an engine out job to do walnut blasting on it...

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I need something like the latter but for the intake valves on my X5M... its an engine out job to do walnut blasting on it...

What about hooking up a meth kit at low flows and letting the meth clean the valves for you. Certainly less expensive via shop time or your own life hours than pulling the engine to do something stupid like walnut blast...