Custom WGDC tables

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
Hello guys, trying to understand custom wgdc tables. I did some work but facing issues with boost fluctuation. Can somebody elaborate on this topics or give a hints?

Initial table

Regards!

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
2 with P factor lowered

Dean@RFP

Jul 14, 2018
Ride
135i
Leave P an I stock, modify D factor (lower by 50-55%) to reduce osciliation.
Leave WGDC Base stock and extened MAF range to 350-373
Increase the MAF range on WGDC Ceiling Adder and set the control range to 40-50 (depending on how much control you want automated)
Modify the last two cells my increasing it 10-15% (factor 1.1 or 1.15 multiplicator)
Use MAF Airflow Adder to finetune the underboost areas

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
Leave P an I stock, modify D factor (lower by 50-55%) to reduce osciliation.
Leave WGDC Base stock and extened MAF range to 350-373
Increase the MAF range on WGDC Ceiling Adder and set the control range to 40-50 (depending on how much control you want automated)
Modify the last two cells my increasing it 10-15% (factor 1.1 or 1.15 multiplicator)
Use MAF Airflow Adder to finetune the underboost areas
Thanks but these are MHD+ Custom P/D tables and they are zeroed out. Not Classic control.

Dean@RFP

Jul 14, 2018
Ride
135i
Thanks but these are MHD+ Custom P/D tables and they are zeroed out. Not Classic control.
If you are using the MHD+ custom setting not just boost ceiling you can scale it in similar fashion as regular controls. Adjust one table at the time. You have oscilation so relax D

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Here's a simple graphic showing in general how the P, I, and D parameters influence the output of the process you're trying to control (in this case boost). Watch how the process output curve changes as the P, I, and D parameters are ramped up individually. In general:
-P gets you on target faster
-I reduces offset between target and actual
-D reduces overshoot and ringing (oscillation) in the process output

You can influence oscillation to some extent with all of them depending where you're at, for example, if I is too high, then reducing I can reduce ringing. Same with P. But in general, more D is used to reduce oscillation.

Attachments

• PID_Compensation_Animated.gif
    PID_Compensation_Animated.gif
    401.4 KB · Views: 46

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
Here's a simple graphic showing in general how the P, I, and D parameters influence the output of the process you're trying to control (in this case boost). Watch how the process output curve changes as the P, I, and D parameters are ramped up individually. In general:
-P gets you on target faster
-I reduces offset between target and actual
-D reduces overshoot and ringing (oscillation) in the process output

You can influence oscillation to some extent with all of them depending where you're at, for example, if I is too high, then reducing I can reduce ringing. Same with P. But in general, more D is used to reduce oscillation.
Yeah I know. But have you ever tried to fill in those tables? Have you ever seen them? They are zeroed out. Can you share your tables here?

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
I spent a lot of time tuning PID on an industrial electronic pressure controller at work many years ago, but not on my car yet - still on an OTS tune until I have more free time to play around. But PID is an extremely common industrial process control methodology, so the principals should be the same.

Were they zerod out in this graph? From this response, I'd add a little I until your boost is oscillating closer to target vs. below it. The oscillation would get worse initially, but just ignore that for now. Once your boost is on target (but still ringing) go start adding D until the oscillation tames down. You're already getting on target really quickly here and the initial overshoot isn't too bad so I'd probably leave P alone for now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230128-084511_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230128-084511_Chrome.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20230128-084405_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230128-084405_Chrome.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: int_c0m8U$tion

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
I spent a lot of time tuning PID on an industrial electronic pressure controller at work many years ago, but not on my car yet - still on an OTS tune until I have more free time to play around. But PID is an extremely common industrial process control methodology, so the principals should be the same.

Were they zerod out in this graph? From this response, I'd add a little I until your boost is oscillating closer to target vs. below it. The oscillation would get worse initially, but just ignore that for now. Once your boost is on target (but still ringing) go start adding D until the oscillation tames down. You're already getting on target really quickly here and the initial overshoot isn't too bad so I'd probably leave P alone for now.
No doubts on your knowledge mate ) first you need to see them tables in mhd custom wgdc section, then you'll start realizing what I'm talking about. Or you hit me on telegram and we can discuss it later when I start tuning? Fancy?

Reactions: wheela

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Not on telegram, but I'd be really interested to see what your tables look like on mhd+ if you don't mind sharing them? I'm n55, and the PID tables have PID parameters split up into a ton of different buckets. I want to get a bigger turbo and try self tuning but honestly that PID is a little intimidating the way it's set up! Gonna be super time consuming...

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
Not on telegram, but I'd be really interested to see what your tables look like on mhd+ if you don't mind sharing them? I'm n55, and the PID tables have PID parameters split up into a ton of different buckets. I want to get a bigger turbo and try self tuning but honestly that PID is a little intimidating the way it's set up! Gonna be super time consuming...
Ok, I'll DM you tomorrow morning ok? Details to be provided ) left my laptop at work. Cheers

Reactions: wheela

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Ok, I'll DM you tomorrow morning ok? Details to be provided ) left my laptop at work. Cheers
Did you ever progress with this? I was starting to set mine up as well and wasnt' sure how granular you made the breakpoints for boost target