Built N54 Failure rate

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Before i slowly start collecting parts for my personal engine build. I was curious to know if anyone has seen built (upgraded internals) N54's let go and what the cause of failure was? Also If it's been figured out what causes extra noise (vibrations) to trigger the knock sensors. Was it improper clearances, unbalanced engines, to much piston to cylinder wall clearance?

STE92

Corporal
Mar 3, 2017
Ride
E92
The ones I seen let go almost always been tune issue but when pushing for my power and pushing the limit a lot of weakness around the engine start springing up. Inj/hpfp always dying cause e85, not keeping up, dme(never consistent) o2 sensor… on and on. I think after certain hp, standalone is the fix.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
The ones I seen let go almost always been tune issue but when pushing for my power and pushing the limit a lot of weakness around the engine start springing up. Inj/hpfp always dying cause e85, not keeping up, dme(never consistent) o2 sensor… on and on. I think after certain hp, standalone is the fix.
Not crashing your car is the fix 😐

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Many high hp n54s on stock dme

STE92

Corporal
Mar 3, 2017
Ride
E92
Many high hp n54s on stock dme
Oh No doubt… but how consistent and how many have blown. My Personal car and other friends just not consistent for some reason. I’m standalone now and pi only, i will soon find out if i was right. Reality is things will brake when you pushing the limits, part of the race car life

Reactions: RuskiRacer

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Yeah I suppose it depends how consistent there setup was on the stock motor. Nothing changes putting good parts into your motor besides being able to push it harder. If you have tuning issues or other hardware issues on your stock motor it'll carry over to a built. If new issues arise when its built then there's something wrong in the motor itself. I personally think retaining di is smart on these motors to cool the piston and cylinder

Reactions: STE92

STE92

Corporal
Mar 3, 2017
Ride
E92
Yeah I suppose it depends how consistent there setup was on the stock motor. Nothing changes putting good parts into your motor besides being able to push it harder. If you have tuning issues or other hardware issues on your stock motor it'll carry over to a built. If new issues arise when its built then there's something wrong in the motor itself. I personally think retaining di is smart on these motors to cool the piston and cylinder
Shouldn't be that much of issue, they are few cars running PI only so far no issues. Plus standalone gives your more control and capabilities, i can set safeties per cyl monitoring egts. I would kept DI but just not designed for running e85 all the time, kill injectors and hpfp. Always got dayum misfire 🤦🏾. Work ok certain power levels.

STE92

Corporal
Mar 3, 2017
Ride
E92
Yeah idk if id say no issues nico 135 melted a piston or 2
I seen that, really sucks… not sure what happened or the cause. All I know he was swapping head right before the event and that happened.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Yeah its unfortunate hate to see it. he was pushing the car pretty hard it was fast

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Well the biggest difference is nobody keeps up with n54 di that much. Have to have strong di injectors and strong hpfp to make it a fair playing field or a standalone with di delete because so many 2js are controlled by great standalone anyways and are just pi to start with makes fuel system alot simpler

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Well the DI if taken care of and maintained definitely has is benefits. Even after a long night out with the boys, my average fuel consumption isn't bad. 94 octane here is currently 6.6 dollars a gallon :disappointed:. Although I'll likely max out my overdrive kit, with the next turbo setup.