30ff Shadow code in MHD

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
I'm getting an intermittent 30ff shadow code in mhd. Does not show up in protools or any other scan tool. No engine light or reduced power mode.

When I check logs I'm hitting target boost majority of the time as well.

I also started getting shadow codes for the catalytic converters.... which are deleted. Never had them pop up before.

This started after I did a muffler delete and installed BL coils and changed the tune in MHD to reflect the coil mod.

Anyone else ever get this 30ff shadow code?

I am running a complete FBO.

MHD stage 2+ 93octane tune

I have.....

Newish stock turbos.
MMP Charge pipe, inlets and outlets
BMS Oil catch can
TurboSmart BOV
Dual Cone Intakes
Muffler delete, but kept resonator
VRSF Catless DP's
VRSF 7.5 inch stepped race intercooler
BL coils
3.5 bar map sensor

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
Hey man! I think you have answered your own question. If it’s not hitting it all the time it can throw a code.

When was vacuum line replaced ?
Boost solenoids ?

Could also be something In the DME having a meltdown

When I check logs I'm hitting target boost majority of the time as well.

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Hey man! I think you have answered your own question. If it’s not hitting it all the time it can throw a code.

When was vacuum line replaced ?
Boost solenoids ?

Could also be something In the DME having a meltdown

Thanks.... yeah the 30ff can be hard to diagnose. But what's odd is that it's in the inactive shadow code and only the mhd code reader finds it.

Lines are new. But I'll be checking all the vacuum lines again.

I'll just be checking everything..... again. :)

I read on some other forums that some people had an issue when the exhaust flap vacuum line was plugged after a muffler delete. I need to find that in protools and see if i can code it out. For a quick check I'll just stick the flap solenoid on and see what happens.

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
Thanks.... yeah the 30ff can be hard to diagnose. But what's odd is that it's in the inactive shadow code and only the mhd code reader finds it.

Lines are new. But I'll be checking all the vacuum lines again.

I'll just be checking everything..... again. :)

I read on some other forums that some people had an issue when the exhaust flap vacuum line was plugged after a muffler delete. I need to find that in protools and see if i can code it out. For a quick check I'll just stick the flap solenoid on and see what happens.
Yeah it’s a nuisance to find.
But if you test the wastegates working. Vacuum line etc. It will more likely be the valve as you say..

MHD does sometimes pick up codes that others don’t find. But best to keep an eye on logs, might be nothing.

Reactions: TheFixer

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
So it was the lack of muffler flap solenoid causing it. I cut it off the old muffler. Stuck it up in the rear bumper and plugged it back in.

No more 30ff low boost code. Targets reached in mhd. Odd there was only a couple places online reported this issue was caused by muffler delete being so many people have done it.

Reactions: derekgates

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
So it was the lack of muffler flap solenoid causing it. I cut it off the old muffler. Stuck it up in the rear bumper and plugged it back in.

No more 30ff low boost code. Targets reached in mhd. Odd there was only a couple places online reported this issue was caused by muffler delete being so many people have done it.
Did you have the vacuum line plugged ?

Sounds like it was vacuuming nothing so causing a vacuum deficiency