Zero to 60 converting to DCT

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I was hoping they would drop in a dct

So apparently they need someone in Australia that can convert the car to MSD81.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Interesting choice as it is like 5k in parts to upgrade the DCT...after buying the used DCT and paying a qualified shop to swap in the parts it has got to be almost 10k I would think all said and done.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I'd assume they will be doing the swap themselves. Also, if you bought a parts car couldn't you hopefully just pull things out of one car put it in the other, do all necessary coding and send it?

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I'd assume they will be doing the swap themselves. Also, if you bought a parts car couldn't you hopefully just pull things out of one car put it in the other, do all necessary coding and send it?

I assume that as well.

But can they build the DCT when the time comes? I assumed you needed to send it to a shop? Either way I still say around 8-10k everything included:

5k upgraded DCT parts from SSP
2k for the donor car
Cost to install upgraded DCT parts? 1k in tools if you DIY.
MSD81 upgrade $600
Fluids $500
DCT flash tune $750

I believe I have read that the stock DCT gives up the ghost around 600 ft lbs of tq. Which he should be able to make with a single turbo easily.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
The stock dcts can take around 600 ftlbs give or take depending on the fluid being used and the size of the transmission pan along with if your using any additional transmission coolers. Dcts run pretty hot from when I've rode and drove cars hard with them

Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
The stock dcts can take around 600 ftlbs give or take depending on the fluid being used and the size of the transmission pan along with if your using any additional transmission coolers. Dcts run pretty hot from when I've rode and drove cars hard with them

https://www.sspperformance.com/bmw-dct-heavy-duty-transmission-cooling-package.html a steal at 2k ;)

The DCT is bad ass but expensive to fully upgrade. For an automatic I think the Guru 6HP26/28 upgrade might be the most economical choice.

It is interesting the title of the video is 'best trans for high HP' because the only thing proven is the manual by far.

Reactions: RuskiRacer

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I assume that as well.

But can they build the DCT when the time comes? I assumed you needed to send it to a shop? Either way I still say around 8-10k everything included:

2k for the donor car
MSD81 upgrade $600
Fluids $500
DCT flash tune $750

I believe I have read that the stock DCT gives up the ghost around 600 ft lbs of tq. Which he should be able to make with a single turbo easily.
Ahh now i see. I think their plan was to simply just use XHP to turn up the line pressures and hopefully keep the clutches from slipping. I highly doubt their going to build the DCT.
https://www.sspperformance.com/bmw-dct-heavy-duty-transmission-cooling-package.html a steal at 2k ;)

The DCT is bad ass but expensive to fully upgrade. For an automatic I think the Guru 6HP26/28 upgrade might be the most economical choice.

It is interesting the title of the video is 'best trans for high HP' because the only thing proven is the manual by far.
Can speak from experience the 6HP26 can take some abuse for sure :)

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i

Yes I definitely agree manual will take 800+whp with ease the 26/28 upgrade is what I wish they would have done . May end up doing that for a 135 single turbo customer of mine

Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Ahh now i see. I think their plan was to simply just use XHP to turn up the line pressures and hopefully keep the clutches from slipping. I highly doubt their going to build the DCT.

Yeah, hopefully the line pressure etc. is enough. He mentioned building the DCT in the video which is why I brought it up. Right around 13 minutes in. Hopefully he can get away with not needing to, it is an expensive endeavor.

I guess it really just depends on how much he abuses the car and what power he is making if the DCT will last..

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Yeah, hopefully the line pressure etc. is enough. He mentioned building the DCT in the video which is why I brought it up. Right around 13 minutes in. Hopefully he can get away with not needing to, it is an expensive endeavor.

I guess it really just depends on how much he abuses the car and what power he is making if the DCT will last..
Sorry i probably missed that. I do remember him talking about wanting to go towards 750whp with a single setup. Maybe if they keep the torque low they'll be fine?

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I have done fluid and filter changes on mine and run xHP stage3 and keep Tq below 600. Never had a slip yet.
Launching sucks with DCT though, you will never be as fast as the others for launching.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I have done fluid and filter changes on mine and run xHP stage3 and keep Tq below 600. Never had a slip yet.
Launching sucks with DCT though, you will never be as fast as the others for launching.

That is one of the reasons I was thinking the Guru 6HP26/28 might be the ideal automatic over the DCT(both are types of automatic transmissions) both for cost and application.

The DCT is probably slightly more useful on the track. But straight line, highway, launching, 1/4 mile, daily driving, I think the 26/28 would win out between the two. Not that the DCT is bad in any way, don't get me wrong.

Reactions: NoGuru

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
That is one of the reasons I was thinking the Guru 6HP26/28 might be the ideal automatic over the DCT(both are types of automatic transmissions) both for cost and application.

The DCT is probably slightly more useful on the track. But straight line, highway, launching, 1/4 mile, daily driving, I think the 26/28 would win out between the two. Not that the DCT is bad in any way, don't get me wrong.
I would agree with this.
If I blow the DCT I would consider switching to the Guru depending on what happens. It hurt my wallet to think about upgraded clutches for the DCT.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
This is the misconception about the DCT. The same (very similar) box with very similar clutches in an m5 handles the torque just fine. Same for people whoā€™ve put it behind big v8 drag cars running single digit ETs. It also launches just fine. The secret to making it handle the power is actually the engine control unit

A lot of the issues with DCTs in n54s is how itā€™s tuned and how the DME reports torque. If you delve into the world of tuning(Iā€™m told) not many tuners actually know how to report torque properly on a DCT.
Good example is people stating that you need XHp to up line pressure to 18bar.... apparently this can be done stock with reported torque from the DME. The DME has logic that limits certain things. The DCT software has been cracked now.

Well soon see I suppose.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I watch their videos too, probably my favourite youtube channel. Partly for the N54 content and partly for the aussie backdrop. Even coming into their winter it's blue skies and t-shirt weather where it's been 12C and raining here for entire month so far. They have a pretty solid collection of cars too. I love my N54s but if I had a V10 M5 parked in the garage I'd certainly use them less.

I'm glad to see them going DCT purely for a little variation, they already have a load of slushbox cars sat around.

He does talk about going single turbo but then mentions wanting a fast 0-60 then also mentions he wants a good daily driver. I think those 3 goals are mutually exclusive. They already have that powerglide single turbo car so I don't know why they'd bother with another one trick pony, makes much more sense to turn the car into a fast daily.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I watch their videos too, probably my favourite youtube channel. Partly for the N54 content and partly for the aussie backdrop. Even coming into their winter it's blue skies and t-shirt weather where it's been 12C and raining here for entire month so far. They have a pretty solid collection of cars too. I love my N54s but if I had a V10 M5 parked in the garage I'd certainly use them less.

I'm glad to see them going DCT purely for a little variation, they already have a load of slushbox cars sat around.

He does talk about going single turbo but then mentions wanting a fast 0-60 then also mentions he wants a good daily driver. I think those 3 goals are mutually exclusive. They already have that powerglide single turbo car so I don't know why they'd bother with another one trick pony, makes much more sense to turn the car into a fast daily.
Their E60 M5 is really the car that deserves a DCT Swap

StevieJ2

May 7, 2021
I assume that as well.

2k for the donor car
MSD81 upgrade $600
Fluids $500
DCT flash tune $750

xHP announced a few days ago they're testing a new e8x DCT flash that should hold +/- 1000nm/730ft lbs. 600ft lbs was the cut off with their current tune and 19 bar pressure.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I hope the zero to 60 guys understand how the JB4 reports torque. Once you glaze clutches thereā€™s no going back.
Heā€™s mentioned in the video that the car is spinning tyres on upshift ā€¦butā€¦ could it be slipping instead ?