What causes this?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I see you uploaded your log also. You can just copy the BB code from there and paste it into a post and it will embed itself. Like this:

Additional information

FirmwareInterfaceEngineTMAP_VAvgIgnDWPMethTriggerModeFFMethSafeModeMethAddMethScaleMethPSIVINE85_SetupVFF_Offsetfuel_30fuel_35fuel_40fuel_45fuel_50fuel_55fuel_60fuel_65fuel_70
32/15//2JB4 Android A314E Series - N541.963.848095069699.8135X8CN561940_2_6_ON69505050505050505050

BoostSafetyPID GainAutoShiftRedFuel_OLFUA1st_limiter2nd_limiter3rd_limiterFUDN20_TMAP6CylModeLastSafetyduty_15duty_20duty_25duty_30duty_35duty_40duty_45duty_50duty_55duty_60duty_65duty_70
29.025656000.00.00.01_2_6_ON141494949494950535761646565

Tuppidsay

Corporal
Aug 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ride
2008 535i
It surges kinda, I've seen and heard from several saying there car is doing this, always when tuned, upgraded turbos. Everything in the log oscillates, even the pedal input and my foot isn't doing it. Also does it on cruise control. It's weird.

Tuppidsay

Corporal
Aug 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ride
2008 535i
All jb4 maps, never tried with jb4 off, worth trying now that I think about it. And every bef I've tried. Granted, it's been the bms bef and then modified bms bef's.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
It surges kinda, I've seen and heard from several saying there car is doing this, always when tuned, upgraded turbos. Everything in the log oscillates, even the pedal input and my foot isn't doing it. Also does it on cruise control. It's weird.

I had this happen too. It would go away then come back a few months over the coarse of two years or so... then last month, I was at a stop light and it did it at idle with the brakes on... then it went away. I suspect there is a vacuum leak somewhere, not in the usual place. When I put it on cruise control, no matter what speed, it would fluctuate also...

Anyways, for my case, over time it developed into 1. excessive backfire and misfiring on wot or hard acceleration no matter in motion or from stop. 2. lurching, hesitation sometimes... then finally 3. the car would hesitate and hiccup from full stop when pressing pedal quickly AFTER it was warmed up.

For my situation, so far I found out that those symptoms were indicative of malfunctioning Purge Valve Solenoid... today I changed it with a new one and the car is so far 100% in all situations. No more hestitation, jerking etc... doesn't matter how warm or hot the engine is. I hope this fixes it permanently and won't come back again.

The purge valve solenoid was the very last thing I replaced after: vanos solenoids, oil non-return valves, crankshaft sensor, both camshaft sensors, high and low pressure fuel sensors, hpfp, lpfp stage 3, new fuel filter/regulator, spark plugs, spark plug wires, battery, new tmap 3.5, new map on manifold, new hoses and clamps, new intake manifold from bmp, new throttle body, oil change.... so you see, it was that purge valve solenoid that was the problem the whole damn time. And the part is not even expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: TiAgAu

Tuppidsay

Corporal
Aug 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ride
2008 535i
I had this happen too. It would go away then come back a few months over the coarse of two years or so... then last month, I was at a stop light and it did it at idle with the brakes on... then it went away. I suspect there is a vacuum leak somewhere, not in the usual place. When I put it on cruise control, no matter what speed, it would fluctuate also...

Anyways, for my case, over time it developed into 1. excessive backfire and misfiring on wot or hard acceleration no matter in motion or from stop. 2. lurching, hesitation sometimes... then finally 3. the car would hesitate and hiccup from full stop when pressing pedal quickly AFTER it was warmed up.

For my situation, so far I found out that those symptoms were indicative of malfunctioning Purge Valve Solenoid... today I changed it with a new one and the car is so far 100% in all situations. No more hestitation, jerking etc... doesn't matter how warm or hot the engine is. I hope this fixes it permanently and won't come back again.

The purge valve solenoid was the very last thing I replaced after: vanos solenoids, oil non-return valves, crankshaft sensor, both camshaft sensors, high and low pressure fuel sensors, hpfp, lpfp stage 3, new fuel filter/regulator, spark plugs, spark plug wires, battery, new tmap 3.5, new map on manifold, new hoses and clamps, new intake manifold from bmp, new throttle body, oil change.... so you see, it was that purge valve solenoid that was the problem the whole damn time. And the part is not even expensive.

Definitely something to look at, currently, I've never had any issues anywhere except light throttle cruise. this problem has been there for over 75k miles. Ever since I started tuning the car. I'm on my second engine, still there. Personally I think it's tuning. But I'm open to anything. I will definitely disconnect and plug the Purge valve and see what happens.