1M Teaser tuned S65 DCT powered 1m3

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I understand its not everyone's cup of tea but I don't follow the norm and wanted to do something different.

Before you ask the 1m engine is going into our track car we are building and taking it to the next level.

Here is my 1m getting some real tuned M engine love with a tuned GTS DCT.

We are also going to be doing a number of luxury, cosmetic and performance mods over the next coming months.

The whole conversion was dusted in 7 days and only cosmetic and exhaust mods left to go.

Here is a teaser pic with more to come.

20201101_121831.jpg

20201101_103738.jpg

Real 1M3 s65 1m

Last edited:

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Thanks guys.

The engine swap we done in 20 hrs straight, the wiring and coding took another 6 days.

Everything is happy and no errors what so ever.

Still have to trim the m3 cluster and getting the DCT gear knob trimmed into the 1m alcantara gearshift boot.

Waiting on the mandrel bender to free up so we can make the front cats to mid muffler pipes.

Lot of custom work under the car too in heat shielding, vacuum and fuel lines.

Almost all the under trays have to be either trimmed or changed and modified.

The wiring was a bitch and unless you have a donor car forget it your up for 30k in parts and there is a lot of parts and
adding around 50 new wires to the harness and multiple sensors.

We had to hack up the salvaged car body harness so we can make the 1m totally reversible and to make it as good as factory.

Yes stock m3 gts DCT flash and custom engine tune.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
This is incredible. Have to say marty this is a hell of a job considering your wiring challenges.
Try do this in South Africa, and the workshops will say "Yes we can sort this out and take it on" but they will have the car for nearly a year to figure it out hahahaha.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Luckily I had the guru of all gurus doing the wiring he is the BMW modification and coding king without him I wouldn't even attempt this as the sheer amount of preparation and preinstallation before the motor even goes in is crazy.

We just wanted to prove it can be done when you know what your doing.

There is no set wiring diagram as every car is different and has to be modified on the fly, I understand why most shops take 3 to 12 months to do this and charge so much.

It would have been done faster if the install was permanent but we made it totally reversible which can be done quite easily if one was to choose to, we also made it so if I wanted to I can run a manual box quite easily.

If the car was a manual conversion it would have been done in 3 days instead of 7 and that's the difference between manual and dct.

Without a donor car like a salvaged title don't even bother as the amount of parts that where needed would send one broke and you have to butcher the donor cars electrical harness for all the factory plugs.

This is not a job for the weekend mechanic it has to be done by a pro, luckily he is a good mate otherwise forget about it it would have never have happened.

It took 2 weeks of planning after we got the donor car to figure out how different it was and we had to wire in 5 additional circuits to the 1 m as the Junction boxes are very different.

So many little things that are just not compatible that need custom work.

Would I do it again, maybe but definitely not a DCT.

Reactions: derekgates

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The s65 dct shifter has the same gear stick connection as the manual its going to throw off a few people when they see the clutch pedal missing lol.

Its going to leave a few people scratching their heads WTF!!!

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
The s65 dct shifter has the same gear stick connection as the manual its going to throw off a few people when they see the clutch pedal missing lol.

Its going to leave a few people scratching their heads WTF!!!
Did you know this or was this a "let me see if it fits" situation? I ask because I would love to do this on my IS.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Finishing up the front portion of the exhaust this morning out of stainless for now until we can get some titanium and redesign
the whole exhaust as I'm not happy with the design, it works is just not good enough and has to be custom made for optimal
clearance.

I want to make a better body brace bracket and a few extra bits and pieces, more on that later.

20201106_190313.jpg

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Finishing up the front portion of the exhaust this morning out of stainless for now until we can get some titanium and redesign
the whole exhaust as I'm not happy with the design, it works is just not good enough and has to be custom made for optimal
clearance.

I want to make a better body brace bracket and a few extra bits and pieces, more on that later.

View attachment 45935

I have been looking to improve the bracing under the car (I like the M3's engine pan as well as any bracing in the trans tunnel). Are you making one-offs or considering producing any bracing?

Looking good!