Speedtech EFR 7670 on e84 X1

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Yes gonna be dropping a longblock off at my local fab guy (jackfab) look him up on insta or YouTube. I will help design the kit while he does all the welding. Gonna design the kit to use a 10an billet extended oil drain so drain lines don't get cooked so bad and have good wastegate prioritization in mind. Not sure if I will be offering my kit with water cooled turbos. Probably just gonna stick to oil cooled turbos to keep simplicity high and cost low .

Sounds great! You should be easily able to improve on the DR and many other tubular manifolds.

Reactions: wheela

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Sounds great! You should be easily able to improve on the DR and many other tubular manifolds.
Thats the plan my biggest gripe about my doc race is it cooks the oil drain line faster than any other turbo kits I've installed. Even the junky jpnoworkz you can get pretty nice drain line clearnace with. Not sure if I will end up positioning the wastegates like the doc race. I am constantly overboosting by a psi or 2 and I attribute it to the doc race wastegate non prioritization

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
A little, I like how little modification is needed to fit it in, but it's a little big for my goals, and my heart is set on an EFR for the gamma titanium turbine and BB CHRA. I can't say for sure I'd notice a difference in response, but if I don't go EFR and aren't totally happy with response I'll be extremely bummed knowing I didn't get the most responsive option for a given turbo size. If i'm shelling out a bunch of cash, I'd rather shell out more for what I really want.

So I have no leverage in this situation - that EFR kit is really the only thing I want.

I can't complain too much, he's kind of doing me a favor already by agreeing to sell me a kit he's discontinued. It's a good thing I initially reached out last August before he disconitnued it. Granted I was feeling it out back then, and only got approval from the wife this January😉
I see where your coming from for sure. Very curious tho why not go externally gated setup? Then you could go with a G30-770 and have the ultimate setup for response and power.

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
I see where your coming from for sure. Very curious tho why not go externally gated setup? Then you could go with a G30-770 and have the ultimate setup for response and power.
Probably just me being picky, haha!

But seriously, with an external wastegate, is there any practical way to control it with the DME & oem vacuum system?

I was thinking with external wastegate, I'd either need some kind of external boost controller, or just run spring pressure. But I'm not really crazy about those ideas, the DME has very sophisticated boost control already, I'd like to leverage it, and keep the setup as simple as possible. That's the other thing I like about this kit - it keeps the oem dme/vacuum boost control scheme.

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
I just looked up that turbo, it's compressor map looks very impressive for the size of those wheels😯😯😯! I'll have to crossreference it to the EFR 7670 closer for comparison.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Probably just me being picky, haha!

But seriously, with an external wastegate, is there any practical way to control it with the DME & oem vacuum system?

I was thinking with external wastegate, I'd either need some kind of external boost controller, or just run spring pressure. But I'm not really crazy about those ideas, the DME has very sophisticated boost control already, I'd like to leverage it, and keep the setup as simple as possible. That's the other thing I like about this kit - it keeps the oem dme/vacuum boost control scheme.
The new reflex should be able to control it pretty good. You really gotta talk to whoever you plan on having tune it and get some ideas on what boost control methods they like using

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
The new reflex should be able to control it pretty good. You really gotta talk to whoever you plan on having tune it and get some ideas on what boost control methods they like using
Yeah, I hear you there. I'm in a bit of chicken and the egg with this kit and picking a tuner. I've seen some other peoples' threads with this same kit who had Chris at Motiv tune it, and they seemed really happy. I haven't reached out to any tuners yet, but right now I'm thinking of starting there, or try self tuning because i'm a geek like that🤓

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Yeah, I hear you there. I'm in a bit of chicken and the egg with this kit and picking a tuner. I've seen some other peoples' threads with this same kit who had Chris at Motiv tune it, and they seemed really happy. I haven't reached out to any tuners yet, but right now I'm thinking of starting there, or try self tuning because i'm a geek like that🤓
Yeah if your confident in your tuning abilities thats definitely not a bad idea

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
The reflex would also give you the option of running PI incase you need it down the line. That turbo will do amazing for your case, they seem to spool up fast on very small engines. If you need something bigger you could go with the G35-900.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
The reflex would also give you the option of running PI incase you need it down the line. That turbo will do amazing for your case, they seem to spool up fast on very small engines. If you need something bigger you could go with the G35-900.
Lol with the 900 your gonna have to start thinking about internals

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Yeah if your confident in your tuning abilities thats definitely not a bad idea
Well, I wouldn't say I'm confident in them, as I've only ever dialed in bigger injectors on my last car, and not tuned anything on my n55 yet. Tuning my own bigger turbo would be a monumental task for me, and I'd need a lot of learning along the way, and help from the community😁 But I have a decent understanding of what goes on with the internal combustion process, it's super interesting to me, and I am confident in my ability to learn. I think my biggest challenge would be finding the time to work through it🤷‍♂️

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
I'm especially weak on things like defining tables. For my last car, I got a hex editor to see what it's like, and when I took a look at my bin I quickly glazed over and realized I wasn't even at square 1 yet...

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
I love reading carabuser's posts, but it's all n54 so the technical details aren't applicable to my situation.