Technical Apr 2020 update: Maintaining a 600awhp 335xi Pure Stage 2 - Long term- CAR FOR SALE NOW!!

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
Almost any time you have a variance of more than 5-7 % in fuel trim between banks, something is up.

the 12.42 vs 12.12 is exactly why bank 2 is so negative. You're either not fully burning the fuel, or you're not getting all the air for the fuel injected.

So you know the problem, now you just have to track down the problem. Is it ignition related or do you have a boost leak? Very likely one of of the two. If I were you I'd pull the plugs and inspect, double check the gap and maybe make it a little less and try that, making sure the plug wires are well seated.

If that doesnt fix it I'd carefully pull the PI and intake manifold off and inspect their oval seals, maybe replace them, and carefully put it back together.

The other option is a leaking injector in bank 2.

zmon1300

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Chicagoland
Ride
'10 335xi
Quick update:

Its -50 degrees with the wind chill here in Chicagoland and this car does not like it at ALL!

Full e85, it had a tough time starting, but once on, the HPFP decided to die out on me. Luckily, I am still under the warranty period for the HPFP so I had that replaced via the dealership. I found a shop that has years of experience building the 6R80 and they promised to do their best on my trans, so I have given them a shot. They have great reviews and their shop was really well put together and organized. So I dropped off my trans and new upgraded bits there to get installed. Hopefully, that trans will hold up longer than this one LOL. Lastly, I can't really tinker with the car with this polar vortex going on. So the misfire issue will have to wait. I spoke with Ken @ Wedge and we came up with a plan to single out whether a index 12 injector is going bad or I have a boost leak, but for that test to happen, I need a good stretch of road and weather which is not the case at the moment. I ordered a few CF bits for the exterior of the car that will make it really aggressive looking and I cannot wait to put those on!

Meanwhile, BMW gave me a '18 X3 M40i as a loaner when I had the N54 there for hpfp replacement, and man this thing is NICE! B58 motor, factory burbles, Apple CarPlay, I mean it made me think about getting rid of my N54. Kind of want something more updated and faster, maybe a F10? Tell me what you guys think I should do? This new car would be a daily but would have to replace the N54 as I do not have much space in the driveway. Thinking for something under 40-45k. Tell me what you guys think?

Hope everyone is staying warm!

Z

Reactions: R.G.

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
Did you get the PD upgraded parts kit? If that shop in Chicago does well on your car, I wouldn't mind having their information. I was going to do a PD trans but couldn't justify shipping it to Georgia and back for eurotrans labor rate. I could drive mine to Chicago if they can do it and it's cheaper.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Did you get the PD upgraded parts kit? If that shop in Chicago does well on your car, I wouldn't mind having their information. I was going to do a PD trans but couldn't justify shipping it to Georgia and back for eurotrans labor rate. I could drive mine to Chicago if they can do it and it's cheaper.

If you use the Georgia shop, insist on witnessing them work. Do not trust them.

Why would you use them if you cannot trust them? Because they have all calibration machines and zf computers to set zf line pressures and transmission dyno machines. If they perform the work, they presumably do it like zf... the trick is to witness them do it in front of your eyes. Which...they will not allow.

The Banshee

Corporal
Nov 18, 2017
Lehigh Valley PA
Ride
2008 335xi coupe 6466 MT
It worked for me too, now I have a x3 (wifeys) in the garage. But a upgrade to the M40 - hmmmm.....would be hard not too.
Same here. Wife hit a deer in the our e93 wagon and the rental was an X3. Apple car play and the smooth ride was all it took. Come spring my E39 M5 is going and an X5 will be moving in.

zmon1300

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Chicagoland
Ride
'10 335xi

I did NOT opt for the PD upgraded parts kit, but I have the following items for my transmission:

Aluminum Mechtronic Adapter
- This replaces the plastic part that was installed there from the factory. I have done some research and this part usually cracks after a while with abuse and higher torque and it causes a loss of pressure. This loss of pressure can cause flaring in gears, weird shifts, 4-5 shifting issues etc.

All new Mechtronic sleeves (4)
- Did this just to refresh the entire trans to ensure longevity. There is no upgraded variant available for this specific part.

Sonnax ZipKit
- This is to help the transmission hold more abuse over time. Upgraded bits in this kit is SUPPOSED to ensure longevity as well.

New Pan/filter/gasket/bolts
- Again, did this to refresh the transmisison.

I got a call from the shop yesterday saying that the trans is ready for pickup! If this goes well, I will let everyone know the contact info of this shop. Its actually in Indiana. I will be taking off work this week so I can drive up there and pick it up. Once picked up, I can then plan to get the car under the knife and install this trans along with:

UUC F+R Sway bars
UUC Front endlinks

Need to pickup some revshift engine/trans mounts. Saw the review posted on this forum and looks like a worthy update. Anyone have a better option that isn't solid mounts? this car is my daily LOL.

I am hoping all this new stuff will make me fall in love with the car again. I really am getting bored and sick of it. Weird rattles, plastic creaking etc. It sucks lol Especially since my Tesla model 3 is so quiet and nice. Makes me wanna get rid of the bmw for something faster and newer.

Stay tuned fellas, this is about to get fun

Z

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheezy

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
Ok, I did all that like 2 weeks ago minus the zipkit. I have revshift 80a mounts, and twisted tuning tcase mount inserts. Car vibrates a lot lol.

zmon1300

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Chicagoland
Ride
'10 335xi
Ok, I did all that like 2 weeks ago minus the zipkit. I have revshift 80a mounts, and twisted tuning tcase mount inserts. Car vibrates a lot lol.

How is your trans feeling now? Are you on upgraded turbos? I hear the NVH can be remedied if idle is raised to 900rpm. Have you tried that? Did the sway bars make a significant difference? Sorry for all the questions. I do not know of anyone who has these parts installed on a high HP xi.

Thanks
Z

I6+TT=FTW

Nov 7, 2016
Fort Collins, CO
I did NOT opt for the PD upgraded parts kit, but I have the following items for my transmission:

Aluminum Mechtronic Adapter
- This replaces the plastic part that was installed there from the factory. I have done some research and this part usually cracks after a while with abuse and higher torque and it causes a loss of pressure. This loss of pressure can cause flaring in gears, weird shifts, 4-5 shifting issues etc.

All new Mechtronic sleeves (4)
- Did this just to refresh the entire trans to ensure longevity. There is no upgraded variant available for this specific part.

Sonnax ZipKit
- This is to help the transmission hold more abuse over time. Upgraded bits in this kit is SUPPOSED to ensure longevity as well.

New Pan/filter/gasket/bolts
- Again, did this to refresh the transmisison.

I got a call from the shop yesterday saying that the trans is ready for pickup! If this goes well, I will let everyone know the contact info of this shop. Its actually in Indiana. I will be taking off work this week so I can drive up there and pick it up. Once picked up, I can then plan to get the car under the knife and install this trans along with:

UUC F+R Sway bars
UUC Front endlinks

Need to pickup some revshift engine/trans mounts. Saw the review posted on this forum and looks like a worthy update. Anyone have a better option that isn't solid mounts? this car is my daily LOL.

I am hoping all this new stuff will make me fall in love with the car again. I really am getting bored and sick of it. Weird rattles, plastic creaking etc. It sucks lol Especially since my Tesla model 3 is so quiet and nice. Makes me wanna get rid of the bmw for something faster and newer.

Stay tuned fellas, this is about to get fun

Z

Quick question on your trans. After bumping up the power on my car; on hard pulls, 2-3 shift is pretty rough, and the 4-5 doesn't even happen (rpms don't change, even when shifting into 6th immediately) or if it does shift it's violent/doesn't sound good. Freshish fluid and new mechtronic in the last 4k miles. I assumed my trans was just screwed and I've started shopping used transmissions. Is there something I'm missing? (was at like 575hp, turned down due to the trans not cooperating).

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
How is your trans feeling now? Are you on upgraded turbos? I hear the NVH can be remedied if idle is raised to 900rpm. Have you tried that? Did the sway bars make a significant difference? Sorry for all the questions. I do not know of anyone who has these parts installed on a high HP xi.

Thanks
Z
Yup I'm on frankenTurbos, twisted tuned. I think on my e40 map I make like mid 5's awhp. I raised the idle to 700. I don't have the sway bars, when I said I did all that I was referring to the trans refresh ha, sorry for the misunderstanding. I actually had the tcase inserts before I had the engine mounts, and the engine mounts settles the vibration a lot. It's worth noting that like everything behind the driver's seat is removed, so nvh might be a little more for me than a full interior car. This trans is strong so far. I haven't really got to test it at 10/10ths yet but I'm confident it will be good. It was a used 57k trans. I reset adaptations too. Screenshot_20190203-223400.png
This was after doing the learn process and driving about 100 miles... And a little race... ;)

The Banshee

Corporal
Nov 18, 2017
Lehigh Valley PA
Ride
2008 335xi coupe 6466 MT

Thanks
Z
I have AKG mounts with the Twisted Tuning inserts. There is an increase in NVH. My car for some reason vibrates less at 800rpm compared to the 900. If you are running 600+ through an xdrive you need good mounts and the inserts to minimize the driveline from flexing. That’s when bad things can happen.

I feel less drive train slop and my shifts are smooth so that helps me justify the increased NVH.

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
I actually feel a lot of clunking when I'm decelerating and it downshifts at real low mph. I thought maybe I need to replace guibo or center carrier bearing but they both looked good. Eventually I'll replace them, but the clunking started about the time I put the TT inserts in.

zmon1300

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Chicagoland
Ride
'10 335xi
Quick question on your trans. After bumping up the power on my car; on hard pulls, 2-3 shift is pretty rough, and the 4-5 doesn't even happen (rpms don't change, even when shifting into 6th immediately) or if it does shift it's violent/doesn't sound good. Freshish fluid and new mechtronic in the last 4k miles. I assumed my trans was just screwed and I've started shopping used transmissions. Is there something I'm missing? (was at like 575hp, turned down due to the trans not cooperating).

Trans probably is donzo lol. Look for another one. Torque is what kills these transmissions man.

I have AKG mounts with the Twisted Tuning inserts. There is an increase in NVH. My car for some reason vibrates less at 800rpm compared to the 900. If you are running 600+ through an xdrive you need good mounts and the inserts to minimize the driveline from flexing. That’s when bad things can happen.

I feel less drive train slop and my shifts are smooth so that helps me justify the increased NVH.

Is this daily-able? lol

zmon1300

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Chicagoland
Ride
'10 335xi
Hey guys,

Been neglecting the car issues lately. Engineering exams have been taking up most of my time. I was having trouble connecting the AIC controller to my laptop with an amazon cable. Went to bestbuy and that cable seemed to work correctly. Wedge sent me a new pi map for the appropriate size injectors and I flashed it without any hiccups. I then but the bullet and bought the @BimmerGeeks! protools app and finally coded out my fog lights. I bought the 335is brake ducts to channel air to my oil cooler and future trans cooler. I also picked up a new set of headlights that were fitted with the bavgruppe led eye brow and new dtm rings. I put my summer wheels back on also and all seems to be doing a lot better. I did a wot pull to see and there is a slight misfire at the top of 3rd gear. Must be coils or plugs. I think last time I changed them was last year. Transmission should be installed in the next week or so. Just been putting it off since school is a little more important.

Thanks
Z
F68479ED-C84E-4B45-9252-5983B9C68FE6.jpeg

zmon1300

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Chicagoland
Ride
'10 335xi
Hey guys,

Been running into issues with STFT deviation. Posted a thread in the troubleshooting section: https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/stft-deviation-issue-help.4874/

Hoping it isn't something major. Kinda nervous. Attached are pictures of the deviation between the banks. Anyone have experience with this issue? Any help would be appreciated so I can get back to enjoying the car.

Thanks
@doublespaces - please fix my picture orientations. Yes I am posting from my iPhone lol.
8F8FD626-54A7-4B73-94C6-1B17B1800AD4.jpeg
AB36E88E-5337-42FC-92E2-206047D7C477.jpeg

Reactions: doublespaces

zmon1300

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Chicagoland
Ride
'10 335xi
Hey guys,

Finally got some nice weather here in Chicagoland to finally tinker with the car. So as you may all know, Ive been plagued with this STFT deviation issue between the two banks. I have fairly new plugs, injectors and wires and a new port injection from BMP. I posted a thread in the troubleshooting section and users commented saying it could be my index 12s or port injectors may be leaking but I refused to believe that all my fairly new parts went bad so quickly. So I did a boost leak test and all seemed fine. Next thing to tackle was to find any oil leaks. My car has about 101k miles on it now, so it was due for some maintenance other than wires and plugs and oil lol . I found 2 cracks in my valve cover where my PR coil rail is bolted into . I do remember that the PR coil rail came with bolts but I lost those and threw other bolts in that I had laying around. So if you have the PR coils make sure your bolts are the ones that came in the kit or else you'll end up with a cracked valve cover lol.

So I thought I should probably address my PCV system while I am doing my VC. Since the easter holidays, My external PCV kit did not come in yet :( . So I just replaced the VC and got new plugs and the new V2 wires from @PRECISION RACEWORKS for the N54 wires. The new wires are alot more beefy compared to V1 and they mimic the Eldor stock coils. I did use dielectric grease on the inside of the wires just to be safe and seated those onto the new spark plugs. I did notice that the V2 wires do take significantly more force to clamp onto the spark plugs which is a good thing because Id rather have them tightly fitted. Once I installed the new wires, I noticed it did not sit the same way with the v1 wires in regards to the rail fitment. I reached out to Robert and he walked me through how to fit the rail with the new V2 wires. You basically just have to angle the rail slightly to get it to sit properly and bolt it down. Once my external PCV kit comes in I will also update this thread with more detail. So I gapped my new NGK 97506 plugs to 0.020 and got those settled in. The VC fit just fine and went in as planned. I did have to remove the fuel rail to get the old VC off which was a small hiccup but nothing too difficult. Once all was settled in, started the car, no misfires, and let it idle for a few minutes while checking for leaks.

Onto the test drive. I expected the car to buck like it did before the new VC because I really did not think a cracked VC would cause a STFT deviation like I hae experienced. I was pleasantly surprised when the car pulled hard all the way to redline like it's supposed to . Did a quick log to check everything and sent it over to Ken @WedgePerformance. Got a revision within 20 minutes that tweaked onset wg and fuel trims and I logged again and car feels great now. I was shocked that a cracked VC can cause an issue of this caliber but I guess it did. I attached pictures of the new V2 wires, old spark plugs for reference and had a blackstone oil lab report done and they said engine is looking MINT for 100k miles. Goes to show, with the right tuning and maintenance, this car can last quite some time. I also posted a video of a 3rd gear log as well for giggles ;)

IMG_3248.png
IMG_3269.jpg
IMG_3265.jpg
IMG_3263.jpg

IMG_3266.jpg

video :