Owl type noise during start up and when cruising (Video)

RollinE92

Dec 29, 2021
Recently installed a set of Chinese 17T Turbos along with silicone inlets. Running a tial type 50mm BOV with 11psi spring. I am getting this very strange owl like sounds when I first start the car (cold start only) and at times when I am cruising and just lightly let off the gas pedal. If I wanted to I could just keep the peddle in a steady position and make the owl sound over and over again. I've checked everything, all the lines are good and I can boost just fine. But this chu chu chu sound is quite annoying especially when I am just lightly accelerating to speed limit and ease off.

I removed the vac line to the turbos and the sound went away which leaves me to believe its WG related. Checked both WG with a hand pump and they both close at about 5-6inhg. Searched up and down and came across suggestions that it may be vacuum/pressure related so I ran dedicated 1/4″ vacuum line to BOV from the manifold, got a lighter 11psi spring for the BOV and still doing the same thing. Any idea what this may be?

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I recommend you get a priest to come bless your car cause it sounds haunted.

On serious note maybe disconnect the vacuum line to one turbo and cap the vacuum line off and see which inlet is making the noise. Is your BOV your opening and closing as well.

RollinE92

Dec 29, 2021
I recommend you get a priest to come bless your car cause it sounds haunted.

On serious note maybe disconnect the vacuum line to one turbo and cap the vacuum line off and see which inlet is making the noise. Is your BOV your opening and closing as well.
Called the priest, it was the BOV spring too tight. Switched back to stock diverter valves vent to atmosphere and the noise is gone. One thing I like about the stock diverter valves is that they operate only by manifold vacuum rather than pressure inside the charge pipe.

Reactions: wheela

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Called the priest, it was the BOV spring too tight. Switched back to stock diverter valves vent to atmosphere and the noise is gone. One thing I like about the stock diverter valves is that they operate only by manifold vacuum rather than pressure inside the charge pipe.
Aye glad the priest came through and helped out. I Prefer my Synapse BOV for this reason. No spring to worry about :oops:. Although I did try a tial out on my car and i didn't get any owl noises.

Reactions: wheela