Need advice

HendrixBoosted

Aug 8, 2022
Hi all,

Before I get into the issue, I should give a brief background on the car. I have a 2012 335is FBO, stock location upgraded inlets, and stage 2 lpfp running MHD OTS E50 flash. So, the issue or issues I am having (could be multiple as I am not sure) is one wastegate rattle (common/known issue) but also, I got a low coolant message, and I noticed my oil level drop around the same time. I looked in all the common/usual places where there would be a leak but there are no signs of any leak.

I do want to mention that when I did drive the car (currently at a shop) it would sound like the wastegates weren't working instead they just stay open. Would anyone have any insight?

Best,
Hendrixboosted

bakerdou

Private
May 13, 2021
sounds like a situation in which I'd prefer pull the engine out and do a thorough service

bakerdou

Private
May 13, 2021
Do you think so? Perhaps a leakdown and pressure test could help tell me something, but I need to order the tools for it first.
Sorry I am making assumptions that the car is not properly under maintenance through its service but I might have gone too far.
Regarding coolant leak, it's a relative easy fix. You may just top-up some dyed coolant and run the engine to its operating temp and observe if there is any leakage. There is no other way for coolant to evaporate.
As with oil consumption, the situation is relatively complex. From valve seal to main seal, from stuck piston ring to damaged sleeve you may all experience oil consumption so it's quite a trick to determine which factor contributes most to the consumption. A pressure test would be my first priority, as I need to rule out cylinder damage. If not enough pressure does hold, I would assume the cylinder damaged and start a rebuild project(exciting).

HendrixBoosted

Aug 8, 2022
Sorry I am making assumptions that the car is not properly under maintenance through its service but I might have gone too far.
Regarding coolant leak, it's a relative easy fix. You may just top-up some dyed coolant and run the engine to its operating temp and observe if there is any leakage. There is no other way for coolant to evaporate.
As with oil consumption, the situation is relatively complex. From valve seal to main seal, from stuck piston ring to damaged sleeve you may all experience oil consumption so it's quite a trick to determine which factor contributes most to the consumption. A pressure test would be my first priority, as I need to rule out cylinder damage. If not enough pressure does hold, I would assume the cylinder damaged and start a rebuild project(exciting).
No worries, the car is properly maintained having the usual failure points serviced. What would be some symptoms that would align with the possible outcome of it being something that I would need to rebuild? Could blown turbo seals cause an oil/coolant issue?

bakerdou

Private
May 13, 2021
Blown turbo seals would come with huge white/blue smoke even when just idling. You may smell&observe it.
For a engine that being in need of rebuilding, the process usually develops quite slow from my experience so the symptoms may vary. Some may drive normally with minor oil consumption, some may even pull hard until one day some weak point like a conrod bearing or piston ring fails and start to knock. Cylinder pressure drop would always be the necessary condition though so I would suggest do it first.
However, I might just have blown too many motors so I have become quite suspicious with oil consumption of all kind. Yours may still be just fine with some seal aging.

Last edited:

HendrixBoosted

Aug 8, 2022
Blown turbo seals would come with huge white/blue smoke even when just idling. You may smell&observe it.
For a engine that being in need of rebuilding, the process usually develops quite slow from my experience so the symptoms may vary. Some may drive normally with minor oil consumption, some may even pull hard until one day some weak point like a conrod fails and start to knock. Cylinder pressure drop would always be the necessary condition though so I would suggest do it first.
However, I might just have blown too many motors so I have become quite suspicious with oil consumption of all kind. Yours may still be just fine with some seal aging.
Thank you very much for the info. Helped me figure out a starting path for my diagnosis. I will follow with any findings.

HendrixBoosted

Aug 8, 2022
Update: I purchased a compression test and leak down test from Harborfreight (big mistake) the hose wouldn't seal correctly and wouldn't allow for accurate readings. Would anyone be able to recommend better versions of these tools. Thank you.