N54 Setting engine timing Issue- Vanos moves

alvinhobh

Private
Mar 8, 2018
Columbia, Maryland
Ride
2007 335i e92 6MT
Timing issue. Need help.
Set the timing on my N54 with the timing tool, following aldata procedure and this DYI for reference (https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1080990)

After all is done, as soon as I rotate the engine clockwise, I can see the vanos move in relation to the cam. and after 2 revs the alignments are out. The vanos have been out for a while, prob have no oil. Are they spring loaded or just oil ? How can I tell if it is bad? Any suggestions

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
I actually just timed mine today.

You did torque down the cam bolt right? It's like 20nm +180 degrees, and by fucking God it's tight.

I believe you mean the phasers/sprockets are moving. Your tool set includes the tool that bolts on the very front of the head and uses the pins to hold the sensor dials in place correct?

The phasers are not keyed to the sensor dials or the cams, but they also shouldn't move any when the engine is rotated.

Remember, you need to spin the motor over twice, so with your 22mm wrench on the crank bolt, go a full 720 degrees.

powerfool

Jan 8, 2019
Chambersburg, PA
Ride
'07 335i
I just did mine about 2 weeks ago for ledges and updated teflon rings. Didn't need them but that's another story...

Are you saying you're able to move the cam gears back and forth in relation to the cams or that you noticed they moved like possibly slipped the end of the cam in one direction?

The VANOS sprockets and phasers shouldn't move in relation to the cams without oil pressure and solenoids and all operating, in other words with the engine running. BUT - only rotate the engine by the crank and only clockwise as facing the front of the engine. Backwards with the chain on and you may screw up the chain tension and position of the VANOS mechanisms and tensioners which may be what threw you off.

Given the amount of things that could go wrong if those cam gear bolts don't hold there's no way in hell I'd re-use them and actually run it that way. I wouldn't try to guess the torque on them either - as Aaron noted they get torqued to the extreme.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
I learned the hard way about reusing cam bolts. I had my exhaust side cam bolt snap and take out my valves, rockers, lifters and damaged a few pistons and both cam shafts.

Vdkk

Private
Sep 3, 2018
Ride
335 e92
I learned the hard way about reusing cam bolts. I had my exhaust side cam bolt snap and take out my valves, rockers, lifters and damaged a few pistons and both cam shafts.
I too learned this lesson a couple weeks ago. Wasn't as bad as yours thank God.

alvinhobh

Private
Mar 8, 2018
Columbia, Maryland
Ride
2007 335i e92 6MT
Thanks for the reply. Long story short, I replaced the exhaust vanos, and the same thing happen after rotating the engine several turns. Said fuck it, put it back together and the car ran the same shitty way, CEL on for timing. Well fuck right..? I followed everything by the book, what could I have done wrong..

Turns out .. If the vanos is controlled by oil .. how likely the solenoid that controls the vanos is stuck ( close/ open idk .. ) and its fucking everything up, and I wasn't the one who did something wrong this time.. Well guess what it was.. the stupid solenoid. Took it out, turn it on/off inside a cup of oil. Slap them back in, car ran like a dream...