N54 Ghost Cam

Veli

Feb 17, 2022
Hello everyone, I'm aware that the following topic may be considered ricey and unnecessary, but I'm already too deep in the rabbit hole and I need answers. I don't plan to use it daily since I'm aware of the effects it has on fuel consumption and the rest of the downsides, and I just want to have it as a cool party trick. So far I understand that valve overlap is what causes the "ghost cam" effect, however, I'm not too sure what values I should be targeting in the vanos tables or how much timing retard is necessary to keep the car running while achieving this. I'm also aware that years ago there was a post on another platform addressing this topic, however, the information is gone with the closing of the image hosting site, so I decided to turn to one of the more tuner-savvy forums for help with this topic that many people have been trying to dig up, yet with no answer.

Reactions: iadunlap

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
If you really want the values, target 100 degrees in both exhaust and intake vanos and bump up the timing to around 15-18 degrees.

It'll get you about 30 degrees less lobe separation angle which is monstrous and will give you the results you're looking for.

If you want a less aggressive "cam", just change the intake to 100° and lower the exhaust to about 126°

• Informative
Reactions: iadunlap and Torgus

rev210

Corporal
Feb 24, 2019
Ride
335i - 08 Coupe .
Ah the ghost cam.... a tune that makes your car sound faulty to everyone who hears it but, the owner and possibly high school kids who are only starting to learn about cars. 99% of people wont ever talk to you about it , 0.999% might say to you, "this car have has a tuning fault"(they are correct), and you will answer "no, I put a ghost cam tune on it so it sounds like it has cams" they will say " it doesnt sound like cams". Followed by silence. The other 0.001% being high school kids will say with an excited expression " hey does it have cams?" , you will say "no its a ghost cam tune so it sounds like it" , the excitement will drain from their face but, they will say "oh cool, I guess if you cant afford cams thats ok". Followed by mutual silence . In the N54 world this is actually most of our conversations with the general public about anything including error codes ,so in fact its not really that bad.😄
Only in the N54 community can you find such fellow weirdos , desperate for the broader community to acknowledge the condition we suffer from. Where we believe our superior cars should be praised and we are rightfully self conscious of the very ordinary sound they make despite whatever you do to them 😁👍

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
On a serious note. I played around with a friend on the vanos idle maps and we increase the overlap just by a shy of a few degrees.
The idle sound changed to a deeper/louder note without loosing smooth idle character. But the change was very small but if you know your usual sound you can hear it. I wouldn´t call that a ricer tune :D It actually is quite nice.

ah and.. who the f is JC Whitney?

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Without JC Whitney how would people order altezzas and fart can exhausts to rice out their civics in tegs in the 90s and early 2000s?

• Funny
Reactions: wheela

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
JC Whitney was the supreme place to buy cheap shit aftermarket parts for cars. Many of the parts universal. Like ... you want running boards on your Ford F150 ... I mean Camaro ... I mean 280Z ... well these universal running boards can be made to fit. Only $89.95.

We bought one of those programmable horns (like 100 sounds and medlies) for our family Suburban. Legit.

If they were around today they'd definitely have a section for BMW N54s. Ghost cams definitely. $50 tuners. Cold air intake using #2 coffee filters. And no doubt, @Torgus, a full line of fart cans. The whole shebang.

• Funny
Reactions: wheela

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
Without JC Whitney how would people order altezzas and fart can exhausts to rice out their civics in tegs in the 90s and early 2000s?

The great American Products Company distribution network.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 65

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
Thing is though, APC almost single handedly advanced all of the American 'hot-rodding' in the late 90's/early 00's. It may have been primarily Chinese made products, but the shear number of new enthusiasts that single company sparked was amazing. I mean in that era if you had an import you either got things through Nopi or APC if it was bought on the internet.