JB4 BEF + Custom ROM

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Now that @jyamona is writing custom ROM's for FlexFuel, @Terry@BMS should get a custom ROM for people with the JB4. The JB4 ROM should remove all the factory boost control and reliance on load "stuff" (I'm super technical). Allow the JB4 to directly report the load values to the DME itself instead of having the JB4 lie to the DME to alter load values.

Probably a horrible idea. I'll stop eating Tide pods.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Hmm what advantages do you think that might bring ?

Smoothness. Right now for a 6at or a DCT the BEF overstates load at factory boost levels that way when the JB4 increases boost via artificial means then the load is at an adequate level for the increased power maps.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Now that @jyamona is writing custom ROM's for FlexFuel, @Terry@BMS should get a custom ROM for people with the JB4. The JB4 ROM should remove all the factory boost control and reliance on load "stuff" (I'm super technical). Allow the JB4 to directly report the load values to the DME itself instead of having the JB4 lie to the DME to alter load values.

It already does that. Just set your flash boost target at the same or higher level than the JB4 boost target. And when we do run JB4 boost over the flash boost on our off the shelf maps we increase calculated torque on the flash side to compensate.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
It already does that. Just set your flash boost target at the same or higher level than the JB4 boost target. And when we do run JB4 boost over the flash boost on our off the shelf maps we increase calculated torque on the flash side to compensate.

Then you remove one of the most useful features of the JB4...controlling boost/maps on the fly.

ETA: At least it is my favorite feature.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Then you remove one of the most useful features of the JB4...controlling boost/maps on the fly.

ETA: At least it is my favorite feature.

Not following you. Set the peak flash boost target to say 30psi, map out all the timing and AFR tables as you see fit. Run the JB4 on whatever boost profile you want to run and then at each boost level it will target whatever table mappings you setup in the flash. JB4 will continue to run boost mapping and wastegate control including on the fly changes, low boost safety map, etc.

Last edited:

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Hi guys, i know this is an old thread.
but with me Being DCT gearbox, i have the JB4 + Pump BEF. my DCT Shifts are not the smoothest, however sometimes they are, but not always.

I know that for the DCT, its recommended to have flash only as the JB4 tends to hamper the Smooth shifting. (according to my reading).

Is there an option to have a custom BEF? set up specifically for the DCT (i know BQ tuning does this, but not for the JB4). and still be able to run the JB4 as i currently have it to allow map changes on the fly.

Im probably speaking out of turn, and maybe there is something i just havent come across it yet. but i am very keen to try get more out of it.

thanks in advance, and apologies again for the thread revival.

Maniac0908

Corporal
Mar 22, 2018
Ride
07 335xi
Hi guys, i know this is an old thread.
but with me Being DCT gearbox, i have the JB4 + Pump BEF. my DCT Shifts are not the smoothest, however sometimes they are, but not always.

I know that for the DCT, its recommended to have flash only as the JB4 tends to hamper the Smooth shifting. (according to my reading).

Is there an option to have a custom BEF? set up specifically for the DCT (i know BQ tuning does this, but not for the JB4). and still be able to run the JB4 as i currently have it to allow map changes on the fly.

Im probably speaking out of turn, and maybe there is something i just havent come across it yet. but i am very keen to try get more out of it.

thanks in advance, and apologies again for the thread revival.
Did you figure it out?

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Yea, i flashed the "GTS" ZB#8606092 software onto my DCT box, and it feels loads better, plus i have my LC working again.