Hesitation stuttering

carlosmpz

Sep 8, 2021
Hi,

I've had my E60 for almost 3 years, and been running ok. Put 30k miles in 3 years. HPFP was replaced before I got it under warranty. Regular maintenance, oil every 5k. Car currently has MHD Stage 1 + xHP Stage 3. Love the difference, but before I go the next step(trying to get to >500whp, figured I'd get rid of gremlins. Always gotten a few misfires, replaced injector #6 a couple months back, new plugs, new coils, and that went away, now getting it in #2. Still had a code every few weeks, but that was all.
Recently, been throwing codes pretty often, but the car still drives smoothly. Occasionally a rough idle, but fine for the most part. Goes into limp mode when on the highway at > 2500rpm for more then 15 minutes at a time. Would go away after a restart, and if city driving, never really comes on.
Codes the car is generating are:

29CE – Combustion misfires, cylinder 2
29E0 – Mixture Control
2A82 – VANOS Intake
2A87 – Exhaust VANOS, Mechanism
3100 – Boos-pressure control, deactivation

(shadow/inactive)
2FCA – Fuel high pressure bei Freigabe der Enspurzung
2FDA – Crankshaft sensor, signal: Missing

I know I can "ignore" the shadow codes. For the Vanos, I've cleaned out the solenoids, no change. I have a spare injector that I'm going to drop in #2. Had a previous bad #6, and swapped it out, and never showed up again.

What I find odd in the log is: Stage1_93

STFT1/2 and LTFT 1/2 - seems very different. Could be way off because of a leaking/misfiring #2? I would expect them to be close.

HPFP - Rail pressure seems steady, and climbs without dropping like i would expect if it was having issues.

TPS - during 68-74s, the Throttle position seems to drastically change, I'm pretty sure i kept a steady foot on the gas about30%, and throttle Position was bounding between 15-80. The second run from 106-116 Pedal was at 60% and throttle was at 80 most of it, but dropped to 30 a few times.

While the car was in idle and I was monitoring, the Throttle Position, not Pedal Position was reading from 0.6 to 473.1.

Fuel Pumps seem ok, as the rail pressure is "steady" for the most part. Not seeing anything wacky there.

Intake and Throttle body looked clean last time I looked.

In the end Im thinking TPS and Injector #2 to start. I'll poke around for vacuum leaks. Anything else I should be looking at?

Thoughts?

TIA

Carlos.