Helicoil help

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Guys - I'm tired of dealing with shit helicoil setups. I've gone through 3 or 4 kits from Amazon. The tools simply suck for installation. The metal install tools are made of crap and easily get mangled in the installation process. (here's the last one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018LMAXFU/)

I have a few TIME-SERT sizes. Way better to install, but I can't afford to buy TIME-SERT setups in all the various and sundry sizes.

Any advise or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Are you saying you manage to mangle the key or the insert when installing ?
if you’re mangling the key then get a refund. There’s also a technique to putting the inserts in from memory… can’t contribute much more than that sorry😣

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Are you saying you manage to mangle the key or the insert when installing ?
Exactly. I didn't post photos, but the insert tools just get eaten up. I've gotten replacement setups, bought other ones from Amazon. I've gone looking for other brands (Google) and such with no luck. I've hammered any number of insert tools, of various sizes. Tongs bend, the insert tool shafts get chewed up by the helicoil threads, etc.

Either I'm doing something wrong (which is hard to imagine given inserting the helicoil is not that complex, or everyone else is having the same problem (as I've tried several helicoil kits with the same tool issues - they all seem to be cheap quality).

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
The only time I've had an issue was with a hole that was deep and one that I tapped crooked.
I do know that if you start the coil crooked you will butcher the coil. But I've never butchered the install tool. The plastic ones are fragile vs the metal ones, but still work.
I've also only used the Heli-Coil brand.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Heli-Coil brand does not sell a kit. Just single size sets. I wanted a size variety without buying $500 in Heli-Coil brand individual sizes.

I just figured someone has to know of a kit whose tools aren't made out of cat dung.

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
It might just be the coils that are junk in your kit. The HC ones I have are all Stainless Steel. Maybe take a gamble and just get the HC coils and see if they do the same or are worth the extra coin.

HC does make full sets. They are not cheap. But you know the adage, get what you pay for. But you can also get sets of just coils too. Still not cheap but at least quality.
And I really want to say the HC stuff is made in the US, but I can't verify that. I tried looking yesterday and found nothing. I seem to recall it from past sales though.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
These are stainless. So I used a file to clean up the tool (and thin a bit) and put a coat of oil. Seem to help ... anything thanks for the various suggestions.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
If I remember shop class it’s critical the thread is clean before putting in the insert. I do remember either thread cutting grease or similar being used as well. Also if these things are sitting around a shop it’s possible the different thread pitches are getting mixed ?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
If I remember shop class it’s critical the thread is clean before putting in the insert. I do remember either thread cutting grease or similar being used as well. Also if these things are sitting around a shop it’s possible the different thread pitches are getting mixed ?
All good points. Threads cut and blown out with compressed air. Sizes kept in individual baggies, so unlikely that there are thread pitch issues - in fact like the M5's I was doing, only one thread pitch.