H&R sway bars need different rear end links

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
When we put together my car, it was pretty standard Z4 stuff - M3 upgrades front and rear for the suspension bits. I had M-adaptiv suspension and chose to keep the struts/shocks and go to H&R springs. Standard fare for the Z4 is H&R sway bars.

Unfortunately when the car was together, the rear end was super twitchy. Barry Battle was very suspect of the rear swaybar factory BMW end links when paired with the H&R bar. Their clearance was almost non existent to the half shaft when suspension fully unsprung. Furthermore we could not adjust to the innermost bolt without contact.

IMG_20160912_111227.jpg

So Barry ended up sourcing rod end components and making our own end links. Completely transformed the car; all the twitchiness in the rear end disappeared.

A buddy of mine in New York recently installed Turner's E46 rear sway bar links and said they work well. I wanted to pass along a link:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-53-e36e46-rear-adjustable-length-sway-bar-end-links-pair/

So if you are running H&R bars on your Z4, and experience this issue, now you know the solution!

Filippo

Reactions: doublespaces

Rogue_Fitment

Apr 4, 2018
Ride
2009 Z4 35i (N54 DCT)
Yes indeed you do need them. Bought the same rear end links from Turner Motorsports. Driving OE suspension (without EDC) and upgrading front and rear with parts also from Turner is night and day. I’ve always told people this car is my life sized go-cart.

Reactions: fmorelli