Fuel pressure m57

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Screenshot_20211231-003844.jpg
Anyone have any experience with these codes. Just did a full delete and stage 2 race tune on this x5d with a m57. Throws these codes when I floor it . Anyone know the fix to the 4987 code ? Maybe I have a vaccum line mixed up i did replace nearly all of them

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Ok I might be able to help with the fuel pressure issue. I had these two codes on my 2011 m57 X5D:

Fault Code: 004560
Fault Explanation: Rail pressure plausibility quantitative control
Fault Code: 004570
Fault Explanation: Rail pressure plausibility quantitative control

I would delete and they would come right back once I was driving it and 'asking it' for fuel.

What you should start with is logging all the related fueling parameters. Unless you need an excuse the start throwing parts at your car just to find out it was one of your injectors.

I would use Use TestO to log. It is free.

HPFP, flow control valve, all six injectors, return line with restrictor, rail sensor and rail regulator. Injectors can cause rail issues as well.

I replaced my rail pressure sensor. Did not fix a thing. I then replaced my HPFP and all was gravy. No more codes. Not saying a HPFP will fix your issues, but it fixed mine. Mine also went bad probably a month or less after all of the deletes + tune. My guess is it was not able to supply to fuel needed. Stock with JBD the original HPFP provided enough fuel. Just a worn out stock R70 HPFP @ 100k miles.

If you decide to replace you HPFP you should use the R90 pump which provides significantly more flow for only a bit more money:
photo_001.jpg

Updated HPFP in RED is the R90.

If you want to get really crazy you can install two R90s: https://santjerperformance.com/products/dual-cp3-injection-pump

The other codes? You got me ;)

Last edited:

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
I thought on the x5d you can't do 2 pumps because of the alternator position? But I'm gonna start with the fuel filter and sensor for that, hopefully don't have to buy injectors those suckers are like 400 a piece. How is your m57 doing these days? I just did the full delete and stage 2 Jrrodriguiez tune. Did the blockoff plate on the rear of the big turbo and used the front blue wire egt and the one 02 sensor. I will probably use protool to log since it seems to do pretty well. What should rail pressure be holding at? Probably will upgrade to the r90 pump in a month or 2 here. Do the lpfp go bad on these often ? Car was sitting awhile before I got around to putting the downpipe on and when I started it was getting a fuel pump plausibility code , did a ekp voltage fix and that went away for me.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I thought on the x5d you can't do 2 pumps because of the alternator position? But I'm gonna start with the fuel filter and sensor for that, hopefully don't have to buy injectors those suckers are like 400 a piece. How is your m57 doing these days? I just did the full delete and stage 2 Jrrodriguiez tune. Did the blockoff plate on the rear of the big turbo and used the front blue wire egt and the one 02 sensor. I will probably use protool to log since it seems to do pretty well. What should rail pressure be holding at? Probably will upgrade to the r90 pump in a month or 2 here. Do the lpfp go bad on these often ? Car was sitting awhile before I got around to putting the downpipe on and when I started it was getting a fuel pump plausibility code , did a ekp voltage fix and that went away for me.

Sorry you are right on the X5 you can't do dual HPFPs pumps(yet). I think it is possible if someone wanted to spend the time. I was thinking you had a sedan. It also seems like the people who are spending the money on their M57s past deletes are the sedan guys. Which makes sense I guess.

SAV is fine. I have two of suckers. However last night a saw 5 drops of oil on the garage floor each about the size of a quarter so that is not a good sign. It's the wife's unmodded x5 other than a JBD.

The LPFPs are not know to go bad AFAIK and seem to supply plenty of fuel. I have a spare used set which has 85k on them sitting in my garage if you ever suspect one is bad you can have them.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
An additional resource. ONLY reason I am on Facebook is the one group on the planet on FB that doesn't suck is https://www.facebook.com/groups/NABDOG (North America BMW Diesel Owner Group). Ok some tards but a crap ton of people that know shit, including factory techs that are BMW diesel weenies.

Case in point:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NABDOG/posts/3139988742905646/

271088037_10227252471648773_7427453322984523904_n.jpg

Another guy in the group is just wrapping up his second M57 swap - a 135i getting M57 with an 8HP, Öhlins, F80 M3 brakes and so on. Lots of good stuff there.

Best of luck on your codes!

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Yeah ill have to maybe ask the fb diesel group what they think. I'm starting with the fuel filter and I believe i forgot to plug off the 2 rubber lines that attached to the original dpf gonna do them and see what happens. Only throws me the fuel pressure code when the bigger turbo kicks in boost target goes up to like 28 psi and the boost stays around 18 and the code is thrown. Does anyone know what rail pressure should be holding at?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Yeah ill have to maybe ask the fb diesel group what they think. I'm starting with the fuel filter and I believe i forgot to plug off the 2 rubber lines that attached to the original dpf gonna do them and see what happens. Only throws me the fuel pressure code when the bigger turbo kicks in boost target goes up to like 28 psi and the boost stays around 18 and the code is thrown. Does anyone know what rail pressure should be holding at?
Have you seen the new replacement filter setup that Andrew Rodriguez designed? Completely gets rid of the stupid underchassis filter and heater, and goes with a more traditional engine compartment setup like one would do on a diesel truck. Very nicely done and kit specifically for E70. I just did my underchassis filter before Andrew did the new one. I'll be switching. Way better solution!

https://www.tunemyeuro.com/x5-e70-a...fuel-filter-kit-stock-filter-delete-optional/

Filippo

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Have you seen the new replacement filter setup that Andrew Rodriguez designed? Completely gets rid of the stupid underchassis filter and heater, and goes with a more traditional engine compartment setup like one would do on a diesel truck. Very nicely done and kit specifically for E70. I just did my underchassis filter before Andrew did the new one. I'll be switching. Way better solution!

https://www.tunemyeuro.com/x5-e70-a...fuel-filter-kit-stock-filter-delete-optional/

Filippo
I've seen it and have been thinking of switching to that after I get a little bit of use out of the one I purchased on fcp. The fuel filter setup on my 1983 mercedes benz 300sd i prefer way more over the way the e70 has it

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Changed the fuel filter can now floor it in first and second but still get these codes
Screenshot_20220102-190921.jpg

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
They pop up in 3rd gear at around 4k hpfp crashes a bit and does not meet target . Is this most likely a hpfp issue I haven't logged lpfp yet will have to take a look at that as well I suppose