ECS auxiliary coolant / radiator kit and 850W fan

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Looking for impressions from those who have installed the ECS auxiliary coolant / radiator kit. Who has installed it, and what are your impressions?

Also, has anyone installed the more powerful 850W electric cooling fan for the 335is (Part No. 17428508253) and what tuning/coding would be required?
Thanks.

zeuskkk

May 24, 2021
I have the aux radiator kit - it's also used in 1M, 335is and any n54 with PPK2 afaik. Definitely helps with temps on the track (but I added a larger oil cooler at the same time, so can't tell if it was the oil cooler or the aux radiator).

Jern54

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2019
Netherlands
Ride
E91 N54 335i
I don't even think that the fan is working when you are driving 80+ km/h?
Correct me if I'm wrong.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The problem with upgrading the fan is the Junction box can't handle the extra draw of current of the 850watt fan.

The PPK kit upgrade comes with its own harness and relays when you upgrade.

Just letting ones know so you don't burn down your pride and joys

Last edited:

jzx_andy

Corporal
May 22, 2019
Perth, Western Australia
Ride
2008 E92 335i 6MT
Have you tried MHD's max cooling mode? I've heard its pretty good and would obviate the need for an upgraded fan. Might be enough with the additional surface area and volume you'd get with an aux rad and an aftermarket item.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Max cooling is great at the track when staging up but a pain in the royal ass when driving on the street.

But if your overheating on the street you have other issues but the 850 watt fan is worth the trouble as your temps come down a lot quicker
when idling in traffic and fan doesnt run as long.

Only places you really need a fan like that is real hot climates like Australia or anywhere else where it sees 105f + daily temps

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
Hi.
Allow me to revive this topic.
I live on a small island in the Indian Ocean, Reunion Island.
therefore tropical climate.
I think the 850W fan would be useful in my case.
first problem ... find the fan at a reasonable price: it does not exist on the euro market.
second problem, what should I modify on the electrical circuit? I think the wires are the same, maybe I need to replace the relay and fuse?

Seb335i

Corporal
Jun 14, 2019
Ride
BMW 335i E93 DKG
Hi.
Allow me to revive this topic.
I live on a small island in the Indian Ocean, Reunion Island.
therefore tropical climate.
I think the 850W fan would be useful in my case.
first problem ... find the fan at a reasonable price: it does not exist on the euro market.
second problem, what should I modify on the electrical circuit? I think the wires are the same, maybe I need to replace the relay and fuse?
As your native language is french I'll answer in French. Le ventilateur en 850W est quasiment introuvable en Europe il était monté uniquement sur les 35is version US et les 35D version US Il faut un faisceau spécifique qui rajoute un relais. J'ai fait le montage du radiateur aux + ventilateur 850w pour un client et le resultat était pas super concluant comparé à un radiateur d'huile plus gros équipé d'un SPAL. Radiateur d'huile plus gros avec un ventilateur SPAL est pour moi la meilleure solution

Last edited:
Reactions: seb.apprenti

jzx_andy

Corporal
May 22, 2019
Perth, Western Australia
Ride
2008 E92 335i 6MT
As far as I know, Euro spec E8x/E9x 135i/335i with the PPK option will all have the 850w fan and relay/wiring assembly. Some cars had this package fitted later down the track as I think the dealers also offered it as a retrofit package. Finding a wreck or part out will be somewhat difficult, as this was a relatively uncommon package, though an N55 car with the PPK should be perfectly fine to use for parts on a N54 application.

CalvinNismo

Corporal
Nov 1, 2020
The Performance Power Kit 2 was a retrofit package that you could have fitted by a dealer (or order to fit yourself).

The power and ground wiring is twice the size (12mm vs 6mm) it runs from the B+ to a Littelfuse 125A MegaFuse (behind the right headlight) to a BMW part numbered TE relay that looks identical to this next to the power steering reservoir. I don’t know that it is exactly the same relay, but it could be.

My PPK2 fan connector is on the left and my standard 135i 600W fan connector is on the right.

IMG_1684.jpeg

The E9x M3 also uses an 850W fan, so if you find a wrecked one, you can steal this fan wiring from that. The fan itself is different though. I have used some M3 wiring to get some longer length to relocate the relay and fuse to the engine bay fuse box without butchering the PPK2 retrofit wiring.

Performance Power Kit Retrofit Installation PDF

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
The Performance Power Kit 2 was a retrofit package that you could have fitted by a dealer (or order to fit yourself).

The power and ground wiring is twice the size (12mm vs 6mm) it runs from the B+ to a Littelfuse 125A MegaFuse (behind the right headlight) to a BMW part numbered TE relay that looks identical to this next to the power steering reservoir. I don’t know that it is exactly the same relay, but it could be.

My PPK2 fan connector is on the left and my standard 135i 600W fan connector is on the right.

View attachment 82441

The E9x M3 also uses an 850W fan, so if you find a wrecked one, you can steal this fan wiring from that. The fan itself is different though. I have used some M3 wiring to get some longer length to relocate the relay and fuse to the engine bay fuse box without butchering the PPK2 retrofit wiring.

Performance Power Kit Retrofit Installation PDF
Oh thank you very much for your valuable information. so the m3 fan is an 850w too. I am impressed by the difference in cable section. now i know i need to find the fan with wiring and relay.

CalvinNismo

Corporal
Nov 1, 2020
No worries! Here are the relay and the fuse, typing the relay part number in on UK eBay brings up quite a few for sale for cheap. The fuse and fuse holder can be found on Mouser or similar. The relay just takes a regular 2-way TE Superseal connector. Other than that it’s just some 12mm power wire with some M6 and M8 ring terminals and some adhesive lined heat shrink (the BMW stuff is good stuff).

IMG_1876.jpeg

I might have no use for my PPK2 fan connector harness, the power steering reservoir bracket and relay bracket, because I am relocating it all. Let me know if you need any more information.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I've been running the 1m 850w radiator for years but these days I'm running the 650w fan as there is no great benefit,
the downside is it's a lot louder and the current draw is a lot greater on the electrical system.

The cost is substantially bigger and the fins are a lot weaker which were seen to snap off under normal use.

Your better off investing in a bigger radiator setup as the benefit is much greater than the fan like a csf or pwr.

Once your moving the fan has little or no benefit even in 120f + like seen in Australia and all my cars run the stock 135i fan
and most likely why BMW stopped offering it as an option.

If you're overheating whilst stationary, you have bigger problems.

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
I've been running the 1m 850w radiator for years but these days I'm running the 650w fan as there is no great benefit,
the downside is it's a lot louder and the current draw is a lot greater on the electrical system.

The cost is substantially bigger and the fins are a lot weaker which were seen to snap off under normal use.

Your better off investing in a bigger radiator setup as the benefit is much greater than the fan like a csf or pwr.

Once your moving the fan has little or no benefit even in 120f + like seen in Australia and all my cars run the stock 135i fan
and most likely why BMW stopped offering it as an option.

If you're overheating whilst stationary, you have bigger problems.
thank you for your advice.
I have no overheating problem at all, neither while driving nor when stationary.
I just said to myself that if there is a way to improve the cooling, why not do it.
but I don't have a problem with coolant temperature, oil, or IAT.
I really take care of my mechanics.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The old saying if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

Unless you live in death valley or Australia spend the money where it will actually help you improve your car in performance or looks.