DSC Unit Adjustment

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I'm trying to carry out the DSC adjustment routine that is mentioned in this video:

When I try it on my Z4 it fails at the separator valve step. I did it on my 335i and it worked perfectly resulting in a nice responsive pedal feel.

I also tried it through ProTool but there's no menu item for it under the calibration menu (I just see longitudal and steering sensor calibration) where on the 335i it was listed along with many other options which leads me to believe that this function is not supported on the DSC unit in the Z4.

Has anyone else tried this on their Z4? Also would anyone with ProTool be able to verify what options they see under the DSC calibration menu? (Select DSC > functions > calibration)

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
From memory the E89 is a totally different DSC to the E9X series and it was more like the E46 DSC.
If this routine is available for E46's then it might be where to look if no one from the E89 community has an answer.

corbanistan

Corporal
Jul 26, 2021
Florida, USA
Ride
E93 335i 6MT
Sort of related, but I want to run this routine on my E93, however my rear brake pad wear sensor was cut by road debris a few weeks ago and I haven't replaced it yet. Do you think that'll mess with the result?

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
From memory the E89 is a totally different DSC to the E9X series and it was more like the E46 DSC.
If this routine is available for E46's then it might be where to look if no one from the E89 community has an answer.
It seems to have its own module. Labelled as either ZDSC or DSC89 in BMW tools depending on what software is used. The coding options are much more limited but I don't know if that's because the module hasn't been fully investigated yet.

The traction control on my Z seems to work a lot better than the E92. It very rarely cuts too much power under normal street driving and feeds the power back in well whereas my 335i will pull everything and leave me hanging. I need to see if there's any way of tweaking it from the DME since the DSC module is a mystery.

Sort of related, but I want to run this routine on my E93, however my rear brake pad wear sensor was cut by road debris a few weeks ago and I haven't replaced it yet. Do you think that'll mess with the result?
The routine usually fails if you have a DSC related error code. I don't think a wear sensor will cause a problem though.

Reactions: corbanistan

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Can’t seem to find the info about the e46/e89 DSC similarity but I did find this doc. You might already have it but others might also benefit
It doesn’t mention anything in the service section

Attachments

• PI-E89 0400 0500 en[1].pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 50
Reactions: carabuser

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I'm trying to carry out the DSC adjustment routine that is mentioned in this video:

When I try it on my Z4 it fails at the separator valve step. I did it on my 335i and it worked perfectly resulting in a nice responsive pedal feel.

I also tried it through ProTool but there's no menu item for it under the calibration menu (I just see longitudal and steering sensor calibration) where on the 335i it was listed along with many other options which leads me to believe that this function is not supported on the DSC unit in the Z4.

Has anyone else tried this on their Z4? Also would anyone with ProTool be able to verify what options they see under the DSC calibration menu? (Select DSC > functions > calibration)
I’m having the same issue with my 2008 E90 335xi. Can’t run this via INPA, ISTA, or ProTool. Any suggestions?

TiAgAu

Corporal
Nov 18, 2018
Australia
Ride
08 335i
I've always done this with the car running since brake are assisted by vacuum. Having it not running wouldn't have the same effect imo. Not sure why Vehicular DIY didn't. Would it help your issue..? Doubt it. worth a try i guess.

corbanistan

Corporal
Jul 26, 2021
Florida, USA
Ride
E93 335i 6MT
I’m having the same issue with my 2008 E90 335xi. Can’t run this via INPA, ISTA, or ProTool. Any suggestions?
If I remember correctly, you might need a specific version of ISTA. Maybe I'm wrong, but I could have sworn I heard that a while ago. Are you running ISTA+ and not ISTA-D?
I guess you could also make sure you have the latest data files.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I think you might have the same problem as me. What module name does your DSC have? Is it DXC90?