Deep sound coming from engine (not injector tick), car almost stalls when I barely tap the gas, no codes, Datazap attached

kazbek1

Lurker
Dec 3, 2020
*2007 335i, AT, FBO, 93 Oct, MHD Stage 2+ Map 10, 139k miles*
Hello everyone. I started my car today after it had been sitting for about 4.5 hours. I noticed the typical injector tick but with that was a deeper 'WURRR' sound. It almost sounds like something is vibrating. Popped the hood and didn't see anything but sounded like it was coming from the alternator/accessory pulleys/possibly fuel pump area.
I gave it a little bit of gas to see what was going on and when I tapped it (maybe 700ish RPMS), the car stuttered and felt like it was about to stall for a second. It quickly went back to a normal idle. I did this a couple more times and did the same thing but only when I tapped it gently. If I stepped on it harder, the RPMs would rise/decrease as normal. Wondering if anyone could decipher the log I took of me tapping the gas. I think the shutter/borderline stall was recorded.
Note: no error codes were displayed and haven't touched the engine or played with any MHD settings in months.
VIDEO:

Last edited:

kazbek1

Lurker
Dec 3, 2020
I figured I'd go over regular maintenance items first to try and find the culprit. I checked my coils/plugs and noticed some oil pooled in the oil freeze plug reservoir thing between 6 and 5. Pulled #6 spark plug and looked fine but when I pulled #5, I got this:
https://imgur.com/tDWWL05
I guess it's time for me to change the VCG...again. Not sure if that's what's making the noise and causing my car to act strange when I rev it but it's just another thing I need to do. I swear, this car...