Technical Anyone successfully deleted the evap system?

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
Doing some digging around and cant seem to come up with much info, i have a e92 thats never used for daily driving, pretty much my weekend mexico car and light track use. I want to rip the entire evap setup out of the car and let it vta, anyone here ever accomplished this and been able to code out any associated lights?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
if running single turbo go for it but if running twins leave it as it helps with scavenging of oil from the turbos and prevents smoking.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Let me get something clear to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

You want to delete the pcv valve and all the associated hoses and catch cans ?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Let me get something clear to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

You want to delete the pcv valve and all the associated hoses and catch cans ?

I think he's talking about the line to the fuel tank that connects to the throttle body, and any associated hardware, (charcoal canister?)

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Gotcha thats different, you definetly dont want to get rid of that, especially on hot days and when the fuel gets hot and expands.

It will blow your fuel tanks up like balloons.

This setup keeps your fuel tank under vacuum and not let it pressurise especially with plastic tanks like

Going vta lets all the hydrocarbons into the atmosphere, one its horrible to the environment and there is no performance benefits.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Tony has the EVAP disconnected on his race car. It runs from the tank to a dedicated catch can in the rear of the car, the DMTL is coded out, with any codes disabled via MHD. It works fine, no smell of fumes. He has checked the can multiple times, and it is always dry, so no fuel is collecting, it simply vents the excess pressure if any exists with temp changes etc. Hope that helps

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Tony has the EVAP disconnected on his race car. It runs from the tank to a dedicated catch can in the rear of the car, the DMTL is coded out, with any codes disabled via MHD. It works fine, no smell of fumes. He has checked the can multiple times, and it is always dry, so no fuel is collecting, it simply vents the excess pressure if any exists with temp changes etc. Hope that helps

But what is the point of doing this exactly? What does the Evap readiness show, not available, failed, incomplete? I'm assuming for emissions purposes they would require this one to be completed and no disabled?

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
Only reason i want to do it is just to get rid of stuff for simplicity sakes, less lines going around the car, less potential leak points, less things to maintain.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Unless there was an issue with the evp system and you just couldnt be stuffed spending the money fixing it if there was, I would leave it.

You can't simply block it off and as Chris stated you will still have to vent it through a custom catch can in the rear, so its really not that simple.

There is only one line and a solonoid running from front to back of the car and thats all you would be saving, the charcoal canister you would replace with a catch can.

So what's the benefit ?

Reactions: kayzrx82

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
Do not worry @martymil ill have all that covered. I mentioned in the first post i intend to vta.......i never said i was gonna block it off. My post was asking how can it be done not should.