“HARDTOP IS NOT LOCKED!” (Error message)

Mayhem

Aug 7, 2018
Ride
Z4, X2
Anyone experience this issue? Today I noticed when cornering aggressively or hitting bumps a certain way, I get the screen error message, “HARDTOP IS NOT LOCKED!” Along with the visual roof icon in the dash and a chime. My roof is up and closed all the way. I tried opening and closing the roof a half a dozen times and that works just fine. I also tried manually shaking the roof and in the closed position, it appears to be solidly latched. Yet, when I corner aggressively, or hit a bump, I get the message.

Anyone have this happen and was it a sensor going bad or an actual problem with the locking mechanism?

135itp

Private
Dec 6, 2018
Ride
09 135i n54 AT
The body/top is flexing and its deactivating one of the micro switches. Adjusting the top with more down pressure might do the trick. Dont adjust to much because it can cause issues too.

What you said is one down side of having a convert. Good luck

• Informative
Reactions: Asbjorn

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Is adjusting the top easy or something the dealer needs to do?

I replaced my front top lock sensor/trigger located in the driver side hole as preventive maintenance just in case this exact scenario ever tried to arise.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Is adjusting the top easy or something the dealer needs to do?

Trying to locate each switch will probably require knowledge of navigating wiring diagrams and a fair bit of effort removing panels. I had an issue with this once, kind of a pain but the bill from the dealer will cause even more pain most likely.